Or sign up using Facebook

Travelers Checks // Better Option???

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jhalton
Been Around a Bit

Travelers Checks // Better Option???

Postby jhalton » June 25th, 2009 5:33 pm

Hello Mina-San

I'm leaving for Japan tomorrow, and I can't figure out what the best option for money would be....I won't just be staying in big cities so I'll probably need some way to get cash, but need to make sure it's secure

Should I get traveler's checks and just cash them in the city when I'll be going somewhere less urban?

Or just use a debit card to get money out of the ATM? (I have CHASE)

What about a gift card? Is it possible to get cash from these if some places need cash only?

Thanks for your help in advance, I'll need to know this by the end of the day Thursday June 25.... sorry for the rush but hopefully somebody on here knows some good options ( ! )__( ! )

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » June 25th, 2009 8:38 pm

I can't really offer any contrast between those options, but I brought traveler's cheques with me and it worked out just fine. The only trick is that not all branch banks will cash them, so going to a main office is a good plan. From what I remember the fees for usage/exchange with foreign ATMs were pretty high, but it is an option if you're in a tight spot. From what I understand (I haven't used them myself), you will need to be able to read Japanese in order to use them.

Hope you have a great trip!
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Get 40% OFF
zakojanai
Established Presence

Postby zakojanai » June 25th, 2009 9:57 pm

Cashing traveler's checks can be a little tricky. Large branches in big cities will be your best chance with traveler's checks. Best option might be to find a post office ATM. The fees there are not very high and they're available in every city. There is also an English menu on post office ATMs (and they do have them at Narita).

jhalton
Been Around a Bit

Postby jhalton » June 27th, 2009 10:43 pm

cool, thanks guise.

I actually already left before I had a chance to check this post, but I have some travelers checks and some dollar bills so I'll try that w/ the post offices or big city banks.

thanks!

p.s. yes I meant I brought single dollar bills......I figured there might be some Japanese strip clubs or something :P

Return to “Visiting Japan”