a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Off to Kyoto

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Off to Kyoto

Postby jkid » December 26th, 2008 5:05 pm

So, the day after tomorrow I am off to Kyoto using the Seishun Juhachi Kippu (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2362.html). It's an eight and a half hour journey but its going to cost me less than 6,000yen there and back from Tokyo so I am happy. :)

Has anyone else made the trip using the Seishun, is it as trying as some make it out to be?

jkid

Postby jkid » January 2nd, 2009 3:19 pm

Well I'm back. The trip there ended up taking twelve hours overall with many extra transfers because of hold ups etc but all in all it wasn't too bad. The trip there was more trying than the return because I spent a large amount of time standing.

I would make the trip again I think. Although, next time I'd pack lighter :)

Get 40% OFF
tequilatamm
Been Around a Bit

Postby tequilatamm » January 13th, 2009 11:02 am

Hehe...

Yeah, we got caught out this year taking the shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo.

We hadn't realized we were planning to travel on the last Sunday of the local holiday period... 5-Jan, I think it was...

In past years we've never had trouble booking reserved green car seats on the Shinkansen on the day of travel, but this year, there was NOTHING left, just unreserved standard car!

Picture 10 people crammed in the back entry area of the train, standing for 2.5 hours between Kyoto and Tokyo!

At least you were planning for it to be trying, due to the great price... but for us, we were planning to have nice, roomy, green car, reserved seats, and instead it was standing room only in what amounted to a closet!

Shocking!

Next year, we'll definitely book in advance and not take the chance!

jkid

Postby jkid » January 13th, 2009 4:47 pm

I hope it was all worth it! :)

If I ever need to take the shinkansen I'll be sure to reserve early! :)

tequilatamm
Been Around a Bit

Postby tequilatamm » January 13th, 2009 8:11 pm

Yeah, it was still worth it, even though we had sore feet for two days afterwards!

Usually it's not a problem not reserving a seat way in advance, but for periods like golden week, specific holiday travel days (which it turns out this was) , etc.

Return to “Visiting Japan”