Or sign up using Facebook

Too young to travel?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

ajm007
New in Town

Too young to travel?

Postby ajm007 » September 15th, 2008 8:47 am

Konnichiwa everyone :)~

My name is Alanna, I am 18 years old and like many others out here.. I would like to travel to Japan.

The thing is, when I told my friend about this.. she said I was wayy too young to travel to Japan. I don't know if any of this is true, but would you recommend going to Japan at an older age? I am pretty mature.

Also, would people still stare at me if I'm not full Japanese? I am Eurasian(half Japanese, half Irish), but I have some Japanese looks in me.. I just don't want to be totally shunned by everyone.

TY for your time ! (*'-')

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » September 15th, 2008 11:42 am

I don't think you're too young, and I don't think anybody will stare. The only time anyone's ever stared at me in Japan was when I went to an Onsen, but it only happened once, and I think it was mainly due to my unseemly chest rug.

Get 40% OFF
Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » September 15th, 2008 12:24 pm

I wonder if it was the idea of Japan or the idea of travelling (solo?) at 18 that your friend found problematic?

It all depends how mature and self-reliant you are.
Have you travelled in Europe (or America or Australia, depending where you're based) on your own or without parents etc. ?
At 18 (and if you're Irish) you can legally do whatever you want except run for some political offices, so pretty much you're an adult.

I don't see Japan as different than any other place you might go travelling in. Indeed if I were a parent I'd be much happier with Japan than most other places in the world. There are so many British kids around 18 on gap years to India or Africa or South America or SE Asia. Japan is much safer on so many levels.

If you can actually speak Japanese (and read it) you'll get more out of Japan than most. If you have relatives you can visit you've got help in the country if you need it. If you have aunts, uncles, cousins whatever there, go and stay with them.

If you are as sensible as you would be at home, Japan has always struck me as a pretty safe place to be a solo traveller. (But then I'm a reasonably big man, so I have a different perspective).

I've no idea if people might stare.
I liked travelling outside the bigger areas in Japan so I'd often be the only gaijin about. People can be curious but sometimes that means they spoke to me or tried to help me out or little kids would come up and say Harro and stare up at me. I imagine it's the same in many countries. I've only once gotten a "gaijin-san" shout from some drunken salarymen in Osaka.
I think regardless your clothes and body language would show you're not Japanese however you look.
I think it can be hard to make initial connections but I've found most Japanese very friendly and hospitable. Even without a connection Japan has the best service I've ever experienced on trains , in shops, in hotels etc.

Advantages of being older might be a little more wisdom, a little more money, a little more self confidence. (You also do a lot more growing up if you spend 2-3 years away from home at University, or away from home working)
20 is the age of majority in Japan so if you want to buy alcohol or tobacco you have to be over 20, that may extend to some other stuff like entry to clubs, or hiring a car, or suchlike.

You might consider travelling with friends, or travelling to meet Japanese friends (if you know any). If you have Irish citizenship you're probably eligible for the holiday working visa program. Although you have to apply from Ireland. There are also various volunteer schemes for working holidays in Japan where you work with a mix of international and local volunteers. Or go to a language school. Or go on a tour. There are other options than solo travel.

Go for it. Travel is really good. And a bit easier to do when you're young too.

ajm007
New in Town

Postby ajm007 » September 16th, 2008 4:11 am

Thankyou Belton for that helpful response :), I am definitely going to travel to Japan now.. I mean it has been something I have wanted to do since I was younger, why not do it?

Not being able to buy alcohol or tobacco isn't a problem :P

And I should also mention I'm from the US :o, my father is of Irish ethnicity but he is not actually from there either, lol :P. And I have never met my relatives as my mother has become estranged from them over time. I guess I should make some Japanese friends to meet when I am there! XD

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » September 16th, 2008 6:06 am

ajm007 wrote:And I should also mention I'm from the US :o, my father is of Irish ethnicity but he is not actually from there either, lol :P. And I have never met my relatives as my mother has become estranged from them over time. I guess I should make some Japanese friends to meet when I am there! XD

Families can have complex histories especially when you factor in immigration. I have cousins in Australia I've never met but I'd certainly welcome them if they ever got in touch.

Well if any of your grandparents were born in Ireland you can claim dual Irish citizenship. Always useful for the Irish football (soccer) team! Useful for you if you ever want to work and travel in Europe.

I know families can be complicated but maybe it's worth thinking about saying hello to that side of your family if you're going to be in Japan. It's obviously part of your identity because of the way you describe yourself.

ArekkuSmith
New in Town

Postby ArekkuSmith » January 1st, 2009 7:02 pm

18 is certainly not too young at all.
Im 16, and would have no difficulty going to Japan.
There are people around my age who attend school there even though they are from australia, europe, america, and so on. If you know the language, you don't have much to fear besides getting lost. But if you have an iphone or some simular device, staying on course shouldn't be too hard, as long as you have mobile internet.
If your going to live there though, I would be cautious. It would be a very difficult task starting a new life there. Just as in any country, you would need somewhere to live, and a job.
But traveling to Japan would be fun. You will stand out but not too much, because you wont be the only foreigner there :D

Gamer109
New in Town

Postby Gamer109 » January 2nd, 2009 8:16 am

Well, im 17 and going to japan this summer so..i believe your not too young like everyone is saying here, hope you have a nice time there ^^

visual_gaze
Been Around a Bit

Postby visual_gaze » February 2nd, 2009 4:04 am

I think 18 is a good age to travel. i am currently 16 but me and my friends will be leaving for Japan when we're 18. of course some of them will be 17 due to our birthdays being different and such but i think its a good age to travel. as everyone else has said, go for it :)

Return to “Visiting Japan”