a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Tourist Visa

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

epholzpie
New in Town

Tourist Visa

Postby epholzpie » August 29th, 2008 1:00 pm

How can I apply for the maximum stay tourist visa which I think is 90 days? I've been to Japan just recently for 2 weeks. They have issued me for a 2 weeks tourist visa since the itinerary we have submitted, we've only put 2 weeks. Now, I'm planning to spend my 3 months vacation from work in Japan but I have no idea how to get that 90 days tourist visa. Are they basing it on the itinerary submitted or the roundtrip ticket?

hatch_jp
Expert on Something

Postby hatch_jp » August 29th, 2008 2:15 pm

Please refer to the following site;
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html

Get 40% OFF
JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » August 29th, 2008 11:11 pm

Without wading through all that it probably depends on the country you come from. A lot of western country's like Europe and US get 90 days on arrival but other countries you may need to go to the consul in advance of travel

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » August 30th, 2008 2:28 pm

I talked to the Japanese Embassy on a related matter recently. They emphasised the need for a return ticket. (Sufficient funds for an onward ticket may not be acceptable.)

Everytime I've gone to Japan the Visa Stamp was for the maximum 90 days.
I get the 90 day visitor Visa on landing without the need to apply beforehand, however you must have a return flight already and state your return date and flight on the landing form. So in theory I can stay 90 days regardless, in practice I need to leave before then if that's when my return flight is.
I've found that now the fingerprinting is in operation the immigration officer doesn't even talk to me anymore.

However some passport holders (Ireland and I believe US, UK and a number of other countries) can extend this another 90 days at the discretion of an immigration officer at an immigration office in Japan.

You best course of action is to ask at your nearest embassy.

My guess is a visa would be based on your ticket and having evidence of sufficient funds for the length of your trip. If you are an independent traveller, maybe using a railpass, you probably don't have to give an itinerary, although you'd need a first night accommodation address probably.

It's also worth finding out if there is a holiday work visa program arrangement for your country which might make a longer trip more viable.

epholzpie
New in Town

Tourist Visa

Postby epholzpie » August 30th, 2008 5:03 pm

I'm a Filipino but I'm a resident of United Arab Emirates. Do you think the consulate will tell me how I could acquire the 90 days tourist visa? Because I'm sure they will require me to submit an itinerary for the 90 days stay. For the return ticket, there would never be a problem.

Belton
Expert on Something

Re: Tourist Visa

Postby Belton » August 30th, 2008 6:06 pm

epholzpie wrote:I'm a Filipino but I'm a resident of United Arab Emirates. Do you think the consulate will tell me how I could acquire the 90 days tourist visa? Because I'm sure they will require me to submit an itinerary for the 90 days stay. For the return ticket, there would never be a problem.

It's part of the consulates remit to tell you how to make a visa application and they are the only people who can give you definitive answers.

I looked at the pdf for Fillipino applicants. It looks complex.
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/procedure-p.pdf

It does look as if you need to submit an itinerary.
You might be able to be general (week 1 Tokyo, week 2 Hokkaido etc), but only the consulate can tell you for sure.

The procedures don't seem to take into account the possible "go where your spirit takes you" nature of independent travel. If you do have to be specific, I'd base myself mainly in transport hubs that I could day trip out of on a rail pass and have lots to offer by themselves. Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto, Hiroshima, etc. Maybe some planning does no harm.
I also wonder how strictly you have to keep to the itinerary and how much proof you have to provide by way of bookings.

good luck

epholzpie
New in Town

Postby epholzpie » August 30th, 2008 8:16 pm

You're a good help. Thank you so much.

Return to “Visiting Japan”