a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Hispanic origin people in japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Solidjuanito
New in Town

Hispanic origin people in japan

Postby Solidjuanito » August 17th, 2008 4:47 am

Hi there my name is juan i am of hispanic origin. Im just wondering out of curiosity if there is alot of hispanic people in japan.. or are they quite rare to see walking around?
also is the spanish language popular at all? since i speak spanish, english, and am studying japanese. Im I going to stick out like a sore thumb ?javascript:emoticon(':?')

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » August 18th, 2008 3:50 am

I would say not many hispanics - plenty of Potuguese with the Brazilian connection but not much in the way of Spanish.

I've always found it strange that there are not many Spanish restaurants in Tokyo - though the numbers are increasing - as I think the Spanish and the Japanese way of eating (if not the actual food) are very simialar, at least as far as tapas goes

Get 40% OFF
Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Hispanic origin people in japan

Postby Ulver_684 » August 23rd, 2008 10:28 pm

Solidjuanito wrote:Hi there my name is juan i am of hispanic origin. Im just wondering out of curiosity if there is alot of hispanic people in japan.. or are they quite rare to see walking around?
also is the spanish language popular at all? since i speak spanish, english, and am studying japanese. Im I going to stick out like a sore thumb ?javascript:emoticon(':?')

SolidJuanito-san! :wink:

You are not alone on this one, I'm also a hispanic learning Japanese similar case! 8)

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » August 29th, 2008 9:21 am

there's a great tapas restaurant near the jpod office.
at night they have flamenco performances!

there are a few mexican restaurants around here but i haven't tried them.

i've never seen a tamale in tokyo, but maaaaaan, i would kill for a homemade tamale right about now! :lol:
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » August 29th, 2008 11:04 pm

names please!! Good tapas bars are always handy. Found quite a nice "standing bar" tapas in Ebisu and I have been recommended a tex/mex in Ebisu by someone who grew up Mexico City.

This same person's family own a ryokkan in Izu called La Possanda which serves home made Mexican food and I am sure you could put in a request for tamele - not sure what that is... All food there is home made and absolutely delicious.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » September 24th, 2008 9:47 am

unfortunately, i don't think they could just whip me up 2 tamales for myself. you have to make them in batches... but i'd like to check it out anyways!

the tapas place by jpod's office is called Spain Club Ala.
http://akasakaspainclubala.blog79.fc2.com/
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » September 25th, 2008 3:11 am

Thanks - will have to check it out

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » September 25th, 2008 3:34 am

es muy うめェぜ!  :lol:
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » September 25th, 2008 2:57 pm

the tapas place by jpod's office is called Spain Club Ala.
http://akasakaspainclubala.blog79.fc2.com/

I knew I should've gone in there on my way home. I saw it, walked up to the door but didn't go in. I need to stop thinking "It'd be nice to eat at [insert place name] sometime" and just go and eat there! :)

visual_gaze
Been Around a Bit

Postby visual_gaze » January 31st, 2009 2:49 am

Im also of hispanic origin and speak both english and spanish and when i went to Japan i was surprised that i didnt see many hispanics either. I also didnt find a single mexican restaurant but maybe i just wasnt looking hard enough. The host family i was staying with were all very excited when i would teach them some spanish words since, to them, spanish was almost exotic and very uncommon in Japan. Me and my friends also made some mexican food for them on our last night there and they all seemed to enjoy it alot. Ofcourse, it was nothing like our homemade mexican food here since many of the ingredients we needed they didnt have in Japan. They should definatley open more mexican restaurants over. of course many japanese might find it strange and to spicy as they arent used to it, but im sure they will like it. mexican food is just so good. :D

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » July 16th, 2009 6:57 pm

visual_gaze wrote:Im also of hispanic origin and speak both english and spanish and when i went to Japan i was surprised that i didnt see many hispanics either. I also didnt find a single mexican restaurant but maybe i just wasnt looking hard enough. The host family i was staying with were all very excited when i would teach them some spanish words since, to them, spanish was almost exotic and very uncommon in Japan. Me and my friends also made some mexican food for them on our last night there and they all seemed to enjoy it alot. Ofcourse, it was nothing like our homemade mexican food here since many of the ingredients we needed they didnt have in Japan. They should definatley open more mexican restaurants over. of course many japanese might find it strange and to spicy as they arent used to it, but im sure they will like it. mexican food is just so good. :D

Mina-san! :wink:

Do you know if there is latino places or Mexican restaurants in Tokyo I will go with my brother and friends 2010-2011 and we want to be with our raza community too. Well thank you for your time everyone! :?

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » May 19th, 2010 9:44 am

Why hasn't スパムボットさん been banned?

leastactionprinciple3185
New in Town

The Hispanic Japanese Connection

Postby leastactionprinciple3185 » May 21st, 2010 10:00 pm

I think that Demographically you won't find many Hispanics in Japan, however the relationship between Japan and Mexico is in fact a quite interesting one.

As a Mexican American I was always quite curious as to why there was so much influence of Japanese entertainment culture in Mexico. I think Anime and Japanese Video Games has made an huge impact in the minds of Young Mexicans, I would argue even more than in the United States. I actually personally think these are the worst aspects of the Japanese culture, for looking at some of the real awesome figures in Japan such as Fukuzawa Yukichi or Okubo Toshimichi one gets a sense of something positive about Japan. I think Anime isn't even a shadow of Japanese culture at its best.

After doing a bit of research I actually found that Mexico and Japan are in fact trading partners. Although I must say that the trade agreements (as usual) are not very favorable towards Mexico. The only president that I know that tried to actually improve Mexico's relationship to Japan for the better is Lopez Portillo. Regardless of the gossip people say about the man , he wanted Japan to help Mexico improve its technological capability (This is something that in a better world would be the most logical thing to do and it would benefit Mexico more than say Pokemon). Without going on much further, it suffices to say that there are some interesting things regarding Japan and Mexico that may not be apparent right away.

Also just as an interesting fact, for a while Japan was using Mexican coins for its currency in the 19th century.

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » May 24th, 2010 12:21 am

leastactionprinciple3185-san,
Thanks for an interesting post about the relationship between Japan and Mexico (I also have a Mexican background so I find this kind of thing really interesting!) I haven't been to Mexico in a long time, but the last time I went, I did notice that manga/anime/jpop/etc was very popular there. I remember seeing tons of anime magazines and even one dedicated entirely to J-pop (I believe it may have originally been published in a different Spanish-speaking country, but it was a nice publication! I wonder if it's still around...)
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

luckyone
New in Town

Postby luckyone » June 24th, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi there, Im also a Mexican learning japanese, when we went to Japan we found around 3 people who lived in Mexico, and returned to Japan, and thats why they spoke English, but people would be excited to know we were from other place aside from US

Return to “Visiting Japan”