Or sign up using Facebook

hiking in the Japanese wilderness

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

digitaljo
Been Around a Bit

hiking in the Japanese wilderness

Postby digitaljo » June 12th, 2006 6:42 am

I love the outdoors! I love to hike eventhough I am just a novice at it. :P
Has anyone hiked in Japan? Please share your stories, insights, dates, times, length. My main question is how did you get into the wilderness? Especially those people who don't want to drive in Japan. Are there buses that go to certain places? Are there good places for a day hike? Any interesting trails you've been on? Pictures would really help!
教えてください。よろしくおねがいします。(oshiete kudasai. yoroshiku onegaishimasu.)

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: hiking in the Japanese wilderness

Postby Bueller_007 » June 12th, 2006 11:41 am

digitaljo wrote:I love the outdoors! I love to hike eventhough I am just a novice at it. :P
Has anyone hiked in Japan? Please share your stories, insights, dates, times, length. My main question is how did you get into the wilderness? Especially those people who don't want to drive in Japan. Are there buses that go to certain places? Are there good places for a day hike? Any interesting trails you've been on? Pictures would really help!
教えてください。よろしくおねがいします。(oshiete kudasai. yoroshiku onegaishimasu.)

I 've been hiking all over Japan:

Yakushima Traversal (3 days)
Aso-san Crater & other hikes in the Aso caldera
Yufuin-dake
Itsuku-shima
LOADS of day hikes in Kinki
Traversal of the Northern Alps (Tateyama->Kamikochi, 6 days)
Fuji-san
Kamakura
Niseko
Meakan-dake
Shiretoko Traversal (2 days)

Probably forgetting some...

Getting to and from the hikes was absolutely simple. There's public transportation to and from most of them, although it tends to be expensive, because the buses often run empty. (So some bus routes, like the one to the base of the Aso-san trek have closed. Had to take a taxi for that one.)

I did Hokkaido by rent-a-car, so I can't comment on transportation there. I think it exists but is somewhat inconvenient, and doesn't necessarily drop you at the trailhead.

There's a good, but outdated, Lonely Planet "Hiking in Japan" book that has a lot of info about this. And if you can read Japanese, once you get comfortable enough, you can throw that in the garbage and just use Japanese maps. The "山と高原地図" ("yama to kougen chizu") series is brilliant. And updated yearly.

Some of the better pictures from my hikes (and other things) are up here:
*BROKEN URL REMOVED*

Hiking (along with hot springs) is possibly the best experience you can have in Japan. (And if you do the 2-day Shiretoko hike, you can combine them: the hike ends at "Kamuiwakka yu-no-taki", a hot-water waterfall.) The Japanese people you meet on the trail are always really friendly, and if you do an overnight trip, you're almost sure to get offered free booze by the other people in your cabin.
Last edited by Bueller_007 on December 2nd, 2014 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » June 13th, 2006 11:14 am

Holy crap @ your pictures.
I'm so envious.

How many times have you been to Japan?
You must spend a fortune travelling.
Find out what it's like to live, work and play in Japan!
http://guzenmedia.com/

digitaljo
Been Around a Bit

Postby digitaljo » June 13th, 2006 7:06 pm

Bueller_007さん、ありがとうございます。羨ましいてすよ。(arigatou gozaimasu. urayamashii desu yo.)

Wow your pictures are really nice. Like what Frankensteinerさん said you must be spending a fortune traveling to Japan, unless you lived there.

In terms of the busses going to the trailhead, I'm guessing they are at the nearest train station, right? Is there a certain stop or is it usually the end of the line?

If ask, "I'd like to go to xxx." "xxxに行きたいんですが。" What would I put in the xxx? Do I put the name of the mountain or are there specific points I should ask for. (I think my first question overlaps with this.)

Could you mention the nearest train station or bus station of the places you listed?

Around what month(s) do you think is the best time to hike? I heard for Fuji-san it's early July to late August.

ごめんなさい。たくさん質問があるんですね。(gomen nasai. takusan shitsumon ga arundesu ne.)

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » June 17th, 2006 10:54 am

digitaljo wrote:Bueller_007さん、ありがとうございます。羨ましいてすよ。(arigatou gozaimasu. urayamashii desu yo.)

Wow your pictures are really nice. Like what Frankensteinerさん said you must be spending a fortune traveling to Japan, unless you lived there.

Yeah, I lived there. But that doesn't save you much money when you're travelling. (Can't take your accomodation on the road with you...) MAN, did I spend a fortune travelling there.

But I'll give you the best piece of budget travel advice you're ever going to get:
All throughout Japan (and especially in Hokkaido) there are dirt-cheap lodgings called "Rider Houses". They're designed for Japanese motorcyclists who need to pull in for the night. Sometimes they're like guesthouses, and sometimes they're just futons in some woman's garage. They only cost $5-$25 dollars a night, and ALL of the guests are Japanese but you. I stayed in one in Hokkaido that was $7/night and included free dinner & breakfast. They're not listed in Lonely Planet or anything. You need a special Japanese motorcycling guidebook called "Touring Mapple". And you need enough Japanese reading/speaking ability to find the place and get in. This can save you a ton of money. And you might be able to catch an onward ride on the back of someone's motorbike.

In terms of the busses going to the trailhead, I'm guessing they are at the nearest train station, right? Is there a certain stop or is it usually the end of the line?

If ask, "I'd like to go to xxx." "xxxに行きたいんですが。" What would I put in the xxx? Do I put the name of the mountain or are there specific points I should ask for. (I think my first question overlaps with this.) Could you mention the nearest train station or bus station of the places you listed?

I can't really remember... Definitely pick up a copy of that Lonely Planet if you're interested. It's only like $20. Their maps are quite crappy though, so you'll need to supplement them with the "yama to kogen" maps.

The paths themselves are well-beaten in Japan, and they're usually marked with a (red) "○" on rocks throughout the trail or with a small ribbon wrapped around tree trunks. There are lots of (Japanese) signs on the trails directing you where to go. FOLLOW THESE. Never take the path that you think MIGHT be the trail. If you get to a crossroad, stop and look for the trail markers. Don't wander until you find them. It's easy to accidentally end up on some deer trail, and there are some seriously vertical cliffs in Japan.

Around what month(s) do you think is the best time to hike? I heard for Fuji-san it's early July to late August.

Don't do Fuji. It's a beautiful mountain from far away, but it's really quite dirty & ugly up close. The scenery isn't that great and you're doing it at night, so you can't see anything anyway. (This reminds me of a great Japanese phrase: 夜目遠目傘のうち: "A woman who is beautiful at night, from far away, or when her face is hidden by an umbrella.") A lot of (old/overweight) people get altitude sickness and drop out. The only reason to climb Fuji is to say "I climbed Fuji". Climb an interesting mountain instead.

July & August get some typhoons, but overall, they are the best times to hike in many parts of Japan (especially Hokkaido). The "best" time is whenever the local flowers are in bloom, which varies on the region. But there'll be so many retirees on the trail at that time though that you'll be lucky to see the flowers.

digitaljo
Been Around a Bit

Postby digitaljo » July 3rd, 2006 3:04 pm

本とにありがとうございます。Thank you so much, Bueller_007-san!!! :D The pictures are really nice. 羨ましいなあ。Sorry for the late reply. :oops:

Return to “Visiting Japan”