Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

cheap travel around japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

how much do you charge per hour for a one-on-one english tutoring class?

less than 1000 yen
No votes
1001-1999 yen
100%
2000-2999 yen
No votes
3000-3999 yen
No votes
over 4000 yen
No votes

Total votes: 1

jns4chat
Been Around a Bit

cheap travel around japan

Postby jns4chat » May 23rd, 2008 4:33 am

i'm going to go to japan for a year as an exchange student so i can't avail of the JR pass

i'm thinking of traveling the cheapest way all over japan and i don't mind sleeping on buses. i heard that plane tickets can get pretty cheap, am i right? i'm female by the way, does that make a difference?

also what's the cheapest way to get to kagoshima's saka-no-ue from the fukuoka international airport?

thanks in advance!

zakojanai
Established Presence

Postby zakojanai » May 23rd, 2008 6:39 am

I'm not sure about the cheapest way from Fukuoka to Kagoshima, but there are tons of trains and buses that go from Fukuoka to Kagoshima. Although it doesn't run all the way, you can take the shinkansen most of the way. Also, where is saka-no-ue? Is that part of Kagoshima City?

Are you going to be studying in Fukuoka or is your ultimate destination Kagoshima? If it's Fukuoka, send me a message. I used to live there and might be able to give you some tips.

The cheap plane tickets are mostly for Tokyo. Skymark has very cheap tickets for Tokyo if you book early enough. I managed to get roundtrip tickets for 21000 yen.

Also, while this site isn't very good for comparing fares, (you can usually get cheaper tickets than the prices listed here) it is a good resource for checking train times and researching routes: http://www.hyperdia.com[/url]

Get 40% OFF
sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » May 23rd, 2008 10:59 am

I just want to make a comment about your poll. It depends on your experience, qualifications, whether you are doing it at-home or meeting someplace in middle. If you have a Masters or PhD, you can easily command more than the highest price you listed.
お茶漬け海苔

jns4chat
Been Around a Bit

kago

Postby jns4chat » May 23rd, 2008 2:37 pm

zakojanai wrote:I'm not sure about the cheapest way from Fukuoka to Kagoshima, but there are tons of trains and buses that go from Fukuoka to Kagoshima. Although it doesn't run all the way, you can take the shinkansen most of the way. Also, where is saka-no-ue? Is that part of Kagoshima City?

Are you going to be studying in Fukuoka or is your ultimate destination Kagoshima? If it's Fukuoka, send me a message. I used to live there and might be able to give you some tips.

The cheap plane tickets are mostly for Tokyo. Skymark has very cheap tickets for Tokyo if you book early enough. I managed to get roundtrip tickets for 21000 yen.

Also, while this site isn't very good for comparing fares, (you can usually get cheaper tickets than the prices listed here) it is a good resource for checking train times and researching routes: http://www.hyperdia.com[/url]

i'm going to be studying in kagoshima and i'm thinking of traveling around japan with kagoshima as my home base. :D

jns4chat
Been Around a Bit

tutoring

Postby jns4chat » May 23rd, 2008 2:38 pm

ochazuke wrote:I just want to make a comment about your poll. It depends on your experience, qualifications, whether you are doing it at-home or meeting someplace in middle. If you have a Masters or PhD, you can easily command more than the highest price you listed.

what if i'm halfway done with my master's and meeting the student someplace outside?

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Re: tutoring

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » May 23rd, 2008 4:22 pm

jns4chat wrote:
ochazuke wrote:I just want to make a comment about your poll. It depends on your experience, qualifications, whether you are doing it at-home or meeting someplace in middle. If you have a Masters or PhD, you can easily command more than the highest price you listed.

what if i'm halfway done with my master's and meeting the student someplace outside?

It's my opinion, that you cannot get away with charging more than 2500yen/hour. Give or take depending on your teaching experience. I'm assuming you have some, otherwise, I think your price should be around 2000yen. But it's my opinion that the lack of advanced degree is going to keep your price down.
お茶漬け海苔

Return to “Visiting Japan”