Or sign up using Facebook

Pre-paid Keitai

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

mrarlen
New in Town

Pre-paid Keitai

Postby mrarlen » February 19th, 2008 8:10 am

Hi Gang,
I was just listening to Survival phrases 49 on Cell phones...

In Oct. 2007 I tried to get a pre-paid Keitai because I travel to Japan at least once per year but when I went to a dealer KDDI or Au, I forget which... I couldn't get one because I don't have a green card.

Can anyone confirm that foreigners visiting Japan can purchase pre-paid keitai?

Also, does anyone know how much the rental phones are at the airport?

Thanks!
:D
mrarlen

Mike_in_Nano
New in Town

Postby Mike_in_Nano » February 20th, 2008 1:59 am

You can rent phones at Narita. They have different plans. I think the cheapest is 210yen per day but then the cost per call is high.

You can get a prepaid phone at the Softbank Phone Store in Harajuku. It is on the street going up the hill toward the train station. I think the phone was about 5000yen Then you can buy minutes there and I guess in 7-11's. My wife usually just goes back to the Softbank store when she needs more. Remember to bring your passport.

Mike in Ebisu

Get 40% OFF
annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » February 20th, 2008 4:42 am

There was awhile where you couldn't get pre-paid cards without being a resident here. But, it was short-lived.

I have a friend who arrived in mid-November, and we had no problem getting him a phone.

You can get pre-paid phones at any Softbank.
You will need your passport and an address in Japan.
(an address of your hotel/hostel/friend is fine)

You can not buy the recharge cards at 7-11, but almost any other convenience store.

mrarlen
New in Town

どうも ありがとうございます。

Postby mrarlen » February 20th, 2008 7:00 am

Thanks! I'll try softbank when I arrive in Japan.

:D
arlen

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » February 21st, 2008 12:51 am

I also was able to get a Keitai at Softbank at the Narita Airport.

That was on my way to Nagoya last year.

What I wonder though, since I still have the phone, can I get it connected again? (I'm sure my account has expired by now), or do I have to buy a new phone?

I was hoping I can get it re-connected , and just buy more cards when I get to Osaka.

mrarlen
New in Town

Yup

Postby mrarlen » February 21st, 2008 12:58 am

Back in 2003 & 2004 I had a prepaid phone from tu-ka.

I was able to use it, came back to Japan a year later and just bought another 3000yen card and it worked.

Too bad, they were bought by another company because I think my phone is useless now.
-------------------------
:)
God bless you!

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 21st, 2008 12:55 pm

my girlfriend has two phones on softbank, so i'm abale to use one and make free calls to each other 8) but i have heard that prepaid phones are very expensive and not really worth while :?
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » February 24th, 2008 7:54 pm

I would disagree with that. If you are planning on meeting people while you are in Japan, a pre-paid keitai is probably the best way to stay in touch. I think it's totally worthwhile.

Musouka
New in Town

Postby Musouka » April 11th, 2008 7:51 am

Try Rentafone. Their prices seem to be reasonable and the delivery and return seem easy enough.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Re: Yup

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 26th, 2008 11:37 pm

mrarlen wrote:Back in 2003 & 2004 I had a prepaid phone from tu-ka.

I was able to use it, came back to Japan a year later and just bought another 3000yen card and it worked.

I got a softbank one, and I just found out the same thing applies. As long as you add money at least one per year, you get to keep the same number. Awesome.
お茶漬け海苔

momo88
New in Town

confused?

Postby momo88 » July 7th, 2008 8:52 pm

I don't quite understand the difference between pre-paid and rented?
wich is better?
- when I'll be in japan for 21 days and only want to call home via internet calls.
- I have a few friends living in japan. Will it be best for me to get a pre-paid or a rental?

Can I buy a prepaid telephone-card and put it in my own cell phone? my phone is compatible with japanese 3Gnetwork.thingey ^^

thankyou in advance
momo88

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Re: confused?

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » July 7th, 2008 10:50 pm

momo88 wrote:I don't quite understand the difference between pre-paid and rented?
wich is better?
- when I'll be in japan for 21 days and only want to call home via internet calls.
- I have a few friends living in japan. Will it be best for me to get a pre-paid or a rental?

Can I buy a prepaid telephone-card and put it in my own cell phone? my phone is compatible with japanese 3Gnetwork.thingey ^^

thankyou in advance
momo88

Probably not, since your phone is not actually part of any Japanese mobile network. Your phone might be compatible with the network, but then you are talking about roaming charges which will probably cost you through the roof. It all depends on what sort of agreement your current provider has with a Japanese provider.

Prepaid means you own the phone, and you just buy time as you need it. You buy time in increments usually of 3000 or 5000 yen. You can get cards to add time at most convenient stores. If you plan on going to Japan more than once, you can re-use the phone since it's yours to keep. It's also easier to keep your expenses in check with a prepaid phone since you cannot go over a certain amount. Once you run out of money you can't make any more calls, but (with some carriers) you can still receive calls/texts.

The last 2 trips I took to Japan, I used a prepaid phone, and a 3000 prepaid card lasted me the whole time (2 weeks each time). I hardly talked, I was texting all the time, and it was dirt cheap.
お茶漬け海苔

momo88
New in Town

thank you!

Postby momo88 » July 8th, 2008 3:25 pm

ochazuke wrote:Probably not, since your phone is not actually part of any Japanese mobile network. Your phone might be compatible with the network, but then you are talking about roaming charges which will probably cost you through the roof. It all depends on what sort of agreement your current provider has with a Japanese provider.

Prepaid means you own the phone, and you just buy time as you need it. You buy time in increments usually of 3000 or 5000 yen. You can get cards to add time at most convenient stores. If you plan on going to Japan more than once, you can re-use the phone since it's yours to keep. It's also easier to keep your expenses in check with a prepaid phone since you cannot go over a certain amount. Once you run out of money you can't make any more calls, but (with some carriers) you can still receive calls/texts.

The last 2 trips I took to Japan, I used a prepaid phone, and a 3000 prepaid card lasted me the whole time (2 weeks each time). I hardly talked, I was texting all the time, and it was dirt cheap.

Thank you very much for a quick reply, I'm leaving for Japan the day after tomorrow^^ and I'll be bringing all my survival phrases mp3's
momo

mtpiper
Been Around a Bit

Re: thank you!

Postby mtpiper » July 15th, 2008 3:33 pm

momo88 wrote:Thank you very much for a quick reply, I'm leaving for Japan the day after tomorrow^^ and I'll be bringing all my survival phrases mp3's
momo

It's a little late now, but we are renting a phone from myjapanphone.com. 20 days will cost us $64US including phone insurance and shipping to our US address, but not including outbound calls.

http://www.myjapanphone.com/latest_promotion.htm

Tony

Joey
Expert on Something

Postby Joey » July 30th, 2008 6:33 pm

in one month i'll be in japan for the next 10 months for college, should i buy a prepaid phone or would a cell phone with a plan be better for that length of time?
Also, are there good plans or prepaid cards that are designed to make cheap international calls to the US?

thanks in advance.
一期一会

Return to “Visiting Japan”