Or sign up using Facebook

Coin Laundry

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

tequilatamm
Been Around a Bit

Coin Laundry

Postby tequilatamm » November 3rd, 2007 3:25 am

Hi everyone.

I know many people probably let out a sigh when they saw the subject line of this, as I have come to understand that "coin laundry" as they are called in Japan (although I'd be curious to know the romaji for what they are called, and perhaps see the kanji, etc.) are few and far between, and that dryers are pretty much hopeless.

My husband and I are making our 3rd trip to Japan in 4 years over Xmas/New Year. We usually stay in apartments in Tokyo, which come with a washer/dryer and kitchen, and in all likelihood we will again this year.

But there is a chance that the apartment we are trying to get won't be available.

As we will be in Tokyo for a week, if we stay in a hotel, it will be more difficult, as we will want to wash our clothes around the time we get to town, as we will have been in Osaka/Kyoto for the previous week, and don't want to carry more than a week's worth of clothes.

Just wondering if there is a list (eigo de) of coin laundries around Tokyo anywhere on the internet, or if anyone would like to put their hand up and let us know where there are some.

We will likely be staying in Roppongi, although I'd be curious to hear of any coin laundries anywhere in Tokyo! If we don't stay in an apartment we may well be staying in a different part of town... such as the Park Hotel... whose area I don't remember the name of!

JonB
Expert on Something

One thing is

Postby JonB » November 5th, 2007 7:08 am

From what I have seen most of the coin op laundry places are run by private people - usually old people if the couple near me are anything to go by. Why is that important? I would not be surprised if they are shut over new year...

Do you mean the Royal Park? There are two one by TCAT and the other in Shiodome - the latter being much the newer. If you are just after a bed then maybe you should check out Villa Fontaine there is one near Roppongi and should be slightly cheaper. Never stayed there before but I have heard that they are quite good.

If you go for the Royal Park - make sure it is Shiodome. Much more convenient - there is nothing around the one by TCAT. I stayed there for 5 weeks - trust me, nothing!!

Cheers
JonB

Get 40% OFF
tequilatamm
Been Around a Bit

Postby tequilatamm » November 5th, 2007 8:24 am

I'm referring to the Park Hotel in the Shiodome Media Tower.

I'm familiar with the Villa Fontaine in Roppongi, as it's not far from where we usually stay, at the Oakwood Roppongi T-Cube. It's pretty nice for a 3-star hotel, but not up to the standard we would consider staying in.

I guess it's the price you pay if you like nice hotels. Don't want to have to bring more than a week's worth of clothes, but not willing to pay the hotel to do our laundry for us... that's WAY too expensive. If it comes to that, I will just hand wash in the room.

Don't really mind either way, I'm more just intrigued now that coin laundries are SO absent in Japanese society... curious to find out how to get around that!

Seems having your own flat with your own washer is the only way!

Anyway, there is every likelihood that Oakwood T-Cube will come through... it's just that under Japanese law they aren't really allowed to rent for less than 1 month... they will if they have space and then "break the contract" a week into it, which is how we usually work it if they have space. We also are on a list for a few other of their properties if T-cube doesn't come through, so we will probably end up in one of their properites in either Roppongi, Akasaka or Shinjuku.

There's also an aparthotel called The Somerset in Roppongi, which would suffice.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Shaydwyrm
Expert on Something

Postby Shaydwyrm » November 5th, 2007 10:01 am

It seems that the term is コインランドリー (koinrandorii)...no surprises there!

You might find this site interesting. The link in the top right leads to a coin laundry shop search engine. I have no idea how complete it is, but it comes up with some 30 stores in Tokyo. None in areas that I recognize the names of in kanji though, and I don't know Tokyo's layout well enough to tell if they are nearby at all.

The site is actually quite cool, you can actually see which machines are open in each store and how much time remains on the ones that are in use.

tequilatamm
Been Around a Bit

Postby tequilatamm » November 5th, 2007 1:49 pm

Haven't looked at your link yet, but if that's the Samsung one I've already been there.

Afraid I'm not advanced enough to read the japanese writing, and there are no links in English, so it's not much use to me... but thanks for including it... the Samsung coin laundry searchengine is actually the thing that piqued my interest in the first place and made me post here!

Shaydwyrm
Expert on Something

Postby Shaydwyrm » November 5th, 2007 3:50 pm

Fair enough. After a little quality time with my map of Tokyo, there's nothing on that list inside the Yamanote-sen anyway, although there are a couple just outside.

JonB
Expert on Something

Here are a couple in Roppongi

Postby JonB » November 6th, 2007 12:13 am

searched google for コインランドリー 六本木 and turned a couple up. You don't need much Japanese to figure out where they are - especially with the help of google maps or a bilingual map - if you haven't got the latter then I would recommend you get one if you are a frequent visitor or just in Tokyo for a week!

http://www.cldeka.com/13000/13103/0030/index.html

For example the first one if you put 東京都港区六本木2-2-2 into google maps (english or japanese versions) you will see that it is opposite Ark Hills and Ana on the main road.

The second one is a bit more difficult to explain but it is in central roppongi not far from the Sports Bar if you know where that is.

kpm1301
New in Town

Postby kpm1301 » November 8th, 2007 10:59 pm

when I was visiting last time, I was staying near shibuya and there's a small coin laundry place nearby that big Bunkamura complex.
It's between Bunkamura and the NHK headquarter and maybe a 10 minute walk from hachiko/shibuya station.

If this works for you, let me know, I can probably point it out on a map.

Return to “Visiting Japan”