a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

is visiting japan worth it?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

minimoose
New in Town

is visiting japan worth it?

Postby minimoose » June 21st, 2007 8:28 pm

I think Japanese is such a fun language and I enjoy learning it! My father travels there a few times a year (for business) and I've wondered what it would be like to go, but I'm wondering whether or not it is worth the cost. Obviously everyone here is a bit sentimental for Japan or else you probably wouldn't be on this forum in the first place :P But does Japan really have enough to offer a tourist to pay the money to visit? Tell me yes/no and why!

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » June 21st, 2007 11:20 pm

Hmm, are you just generating debate I wonder.

What Japan has to offer is Japan!

You can get beaches, theme parks, shopping, sports, scenery in many places in the world often without having to fly, but Japan is only available in Japan.

So maybe a visitor has to search out the unique culture of Japan. As a comedian once remarked it's the most alien place you can go that still has flush toilets.

For me, when I travelled to Japan it was about meeting people and speaking the language and getting about. I like onsen and jinjya and the amazing rail system and experiencing a completely different culture, that at times looks familiar but then there's always a Japanese twist even in the most familiar. Great food. Superb service. New things to see everyday.

But I'd say of *anywhere* in the world if you can't find enough to keep your interest for a week or two in a new country you're a very dull person indeed.

Cost? well it's a first world country. It won't be an ultra cheap holiday. The people that live there have the same expectations as everyone else in the first world and demand similar wages, so prices are comparable. I don't know how costs compare to North America, but after the major cost of a flight I found hotels, food, internal transport, and museum entry cheaper than London, the UK in general, Ireland, and most of Europe (omitting Costa del whever's and the Island resorts of Greece) Beer was the only thing I found noticeably more expensive.

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 21st, 2007 11:41 pm

Worth the cost? I'd say going to any country is priceless. You get to meet new people, experience new food, customs, etc. How much outside your comfort zone do you want to be?

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » June 21st, 2007 11:52 pm

I find that eating out is cheaper in Japan, then it is in America. But if you want cheap, you need to go to a 3rd world country (or stay at home)

Japan is as worth visiting as any other country... either you're a traveler or you're not.

If you don't like to explore new things and places, then there's nothing special about Japan that's going to change that. (That said, I know a lot of foreigners who live here who hate to travel)

Tom
Established Presence

Postby Tom » June 21st, 2007 11:56 pm

It's all right.
By the way, I made it to Japan

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » June 22nd, 2007 2:30 am

If you are coming from Europe, I know you are not, it's as cheap as it has been for years. And the prices in Japan probably have not changed much in the meantime. My commute to work which is 40 minutes on the subway costs 230yen - that is less than £1 at the moment. I don't think you can get on the subway/tube in London for that price.

Eating out is also very good value for money. I was in the US last week and UK next week and I think I can take the family out here cheaper for better quality.

There is a ton to see - lots more I would like to see. Good use of the JR Pass makes it very cheap. People say the shinkansen between Tokyo and Kyoto is expensive but have you ever tried to get a train between London and Edinburgh - more expensive and takes longer (if it leaves at all!!!)

Also as JAL has joined One World there is a campaign on at the moment and you can get reasonable round Asia trips - need to look into that myself.

Live a little - come on over!

minimoose
New in Town

Postby minimoose » June 22nd, 2007 1:51 pm

Thanks everyone for your answers. I get the feeling I was slightly offensive to some of you for even asking my question :D If i had a bottomless bank account I would travel everywhere in the world, 3rd world countries included. But at the moment I'm still in college so my funds are pretty tight. Japan seems really interesting to me, I guess I was just looking for a little encouraging push to make the plunge and go see it in person. Anyways thanks again!

TheProfessorOne
Established Presence

Postby TheProfessorOne » June 26th, 2007 12:46 am

minimoose wrote:Thanks everyone for your answers. I get the feeling I was slightly offensive to some of you for even asking my question :D If i had a bottomless bank account I would travel everywhere in the world, 3rd world countries included. But at the moment I'm still in college so my funds are pretty tight. Japan seems really interesting to me, I guess I was just looking for a little encouraging push to make the plunge and go see it in person. Anyways thanks again!

I don't know if you have decided yet, but I say coming here is a must.

I served in the Navy for a time and during that period of my life I was able to visit some many places around the world, I wont even begin to list them. Yet for some reason, out of all the places I traveled, Japan was the only place I seriously wanted to come back to.

So I am back...and I hope I never have to leave. Give it a shot, the better planning you do for your trip, the more fun you will have. It is easy to go somewhere, get overwhelmed, and end up just sitting in your hotel. Don't do that! Make a plan and go for!

:P
Guidelines | FAQ | あなたはぜっこうちょうですか?

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: is visiting japan worth it?

Postby Ulver_684 » June 30th, 2007 8:09 pm

minimoose wrote:I think Japanese is such a fun language and I enjoy learning it! My father travels there a few times a year (for business) and I've wondered what it would be like to go, but I'm wondering whether or not it is worth the cost. Obviously everyone here is a bit sentimental for Japan or else you probably wouldn't be on this forum in the first place :P But does Japan really have enough to offer a tourist to pay the money to visit? Tell me yes/no and why!

Minimoose-san! :wink:

I can't believe you ask this question! of course Japan it's worth any Asian country out there. It's my dream to go to Japan and meet JP101 crew and Mixi friends! 8)

True Japanese freaks like myself don't being doubt or ask this question, we can feel it in our hearts and what I can see your not a Japanese lover after all just a curious person that wants to know about Japan. :twisted:

misterian
New in Town

Yes

Postby misterian » July 19th, 2007 8:32 am

Which is better for you: european castles, roman ruins, crazy dance clubs, fine art, beautiful mountains, amazing food of a familiar style, etc?, or Japanese castles, ancient wooden temples, shrines, onsen, crazy bars, cafes, fine art, beautiful mountains, amazing but unfamiliar food, etc.? Just remember this: nowhere else in the world do they have Maid-Cafes :twisted:

So, I think Japan is worth it, even if you're not a Japanophile :). I'm not (really!), and I loved it!

As for cost, if you get a JR pass before you come, you'll be able to reach all parts of the country on the cheap. I don't know about cheap accommodations, I've never found anything that great. Find a flight somewhere (search these boards for advice), get the JR pass. Combined that should be between $1000-1500. Then add $100-$150 per day, depending on your ability to eat and sleep cheap. So honestly one week will cost you at least $2-$2.5k. Actually, only a little more than I ended up spending for a week in Canada so its not bad. I think its the same price as traveling through Europe.

-I

Belton
Expert on Something

Re: Yes

Postby Belton » July 20th, 2007 6:24 am

misterian wrote:Just remember this: nowhere else in the world do they have Maid-Cafes

I saw an advert for one located in London in a local Japanese free newspaper last night! Very steep cover charge so maybe it had gone beyond Maid Café to hostess club or something; I won't be investigating.

dorothia15
New in Town

Postby dorothia15 » August 3rd, 2007 3:37 am

Visiting Japan is really worthy! I miss the beaches already there, like the one's I'd visited at gran canaria beaches...
I stayed in Japan for a couple of months only..
dorothy cruz

KK63b
New in Town

YES

Postby KK63b » August 16th, 2007 7:07 pm

what everyone else has said plus soooooooooooooooooooo much more!!!!!

and the snowboarding is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do visit Japan, otherwise what will you tell the person next to you when they say, have you been to Japan?????? always be ready for a positive answer :)

an when you get to Japan, do what i did the first time i walked out the airport doors in Osaka......

damn.......... where am I?????? sat down an pulled out the Lonely Planet haha an i have never looked back!!!!

stay safe :)

Amenat
New in Town

Postby Amenat » August 23rd, 2007 9:24 pm

I think it's well worth the cost. I enjoyed my time over there, I only stayed there for about 2 weeks but I loved every minute. I stayed with a host family and they were very nice and treated me like one of thier family members. I only knew a little Japanese and most of the family didn't know English but we got along well. I did have an 'onee-san' who could translate my english into Japanese if I wasn't confident in my Japanese. Hopefully next time I go I'll much, much better and won't have to rely on my host sister so much.

I got off topic a little but if you can make friends, even if you don't, it's well worth it.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » October 20th, 2007 8:39 pm

dorothia15 wrote:Visiting Japan is really worthy! I miss the beaches already there, like the one's I'd visited at gran canaria beaches...
I stayed in Japan for a couple of months only..

Dorothia-san! :wink:

This link is very interesting especially the beaches, thanks! 8)

Return to “Visiting Japan”