a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

First time, quick stop in Tokyo...

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

andy742
New in Town

First time, quick stop in Tokyo...

Postby andy742 » April 15th, 2007 8:26 pm

Hi, my name is Andy, I'm not trying my Japanese yet, I've just discovered this goldmine of information and language lessons today.
I will be visiting Tokyo in early May for about 2 days (arrive in the morning, leave in the evening 2 days later, so only one full day).
I am on my way from Luxembourg (where I live, although I'm a UK born Australian) to Melbourne (where my brother lives) and am taking the opportunity to visit Tokyo as a stopover. From what I have read, I think that I'm going to love this place and I am already thinking that I will be back on a longer trip to Tokyo/Japan in the future but for the moment, this will just be a taster trip.
I do have to admit that I am a big electronics gadget fan and love shopping for clothes too - I get the feeling that I'm going to run out of time in Tokyo!

I've bought a small guide book but this forum seems like a great opportunity to ask the obvious question... does anyone have any suggestions on "must not miss" things to do...? With so much to see and so little time, I have to find the right balance of things to see and shops to visit :oops:

If you've got any great ideas for sushi bars as well as bars/clubs that'd be good too.

I know it's a lot to ask and I'm only there for a short time but if anyone has any ideas at all that they'd like to share then I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

JonB
Expert on Something

well

Postby JonB » April 16th, 2007 4:50 am

only one word for you if you are into gadgets - Akiharbara

You really need to come back for longer if you want to do anything more than Akiharbara!

Get 40% OFF
annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » April 16th, 2007 9:43 am

fyi: the first week of May is Golden Week, when the entire country is on holiday.

andy742
New in Town

Postby andy742 » April 17th, 2007 10:11 am

annie wrote:fyi: the first week of May is Golden Week, when the entire country is on holiday.

Hi Annie, wow you had me worried for a second but as I arrive on the 8th, I miss the Golden Week by a few days.
Thanks for taking the time to warn me.

JonB
Expert on Something

Actually

Postby JonB » April 18th, 2007 2:11 am

GW is a good time to visit Tokyo - it's empty! In the centre pretty much everything is still open but in the burbs the mum & pop type shops shutdown.

I guess it is still different out of town.

Basically a lot of things shut down at three times in the year:
1st Week January - New Year
1st Week May - Golden Week
2nd Week August - Obon

But in Tokyo the combini are always open! It is best to avoid these times because even thought most things are open these days the trains, plains and highways are pretty full!

Return to “Visiting Japan”