a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

A little help with my trip

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

WCR91
Established Presence

A little help with my trip

Postby WCR91 » March 14th, 2007 4:44 pm

Hi everyone! I posted with something similar a while back, and I got some pretty good responses. However, this time, I know more of what I'm looking at, and the money won't necessarily be an issue. Basically, I'm wanting a bit of help budgeting my trip to Japan (which is a ways off--Summer '09, mind you--) and a little help with some ideas.

It works like this:

About 5 friends and I are wanting to go spend one week in Tokyo, and one week in Kyoto, and, pending any suggestions, perhaps a few places in between/around. I worked out my budget like this. Someone tell me if this is a good ballpark figure.

Assume all numbers have the words "up to" in front of them.

$5000 Budget
--------------------------
Flight - [up to] $1500
Hotel - $ 600
Food - $ 600
Rail passes - $ 300
---------------------------
Total - $ 3000
Spending Cash $ 2000
---------------------------
This is what I wrote down, I may not have enough budgeted for hotel accomodations.
I can stay at a hostel or capsule hotel, I don't mind anything that.

At any rate, i'm looking for any sort of airline, lodging, restaurants, or train travel tips and suggestions. I have a Japanese friend who flies Northwest and says it's a pretty good rate.

When it comes to the restaurants and stuff, I'll try anything once. My friends and I are going after our graduation, and are looking to eat some good food, do some shopping, see the sights, stay in something other than just a typical hotel (although we may be out late most nights--we may go down to Kabukicho, I daresay), maybe see some shows, and just overall have a good time.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you might have.
*tap tap* Is this thing on?

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » March 15th, 2007 1:07 am

$600 for 14 nights... if you stay in the cheap hotels, you could probably come in at $600. But, you can stay in a hostel in Tokyo for as little as 2000yen/night... I haven't seen hostels that cheap anywhere else (they could be horrid, I always stay with friends in Tokyo :) ) but you might want to do hostels in Tokyo so as to have more options elsewhere. Stay away from the official youth hostels though, they have curfews and lock-outs and far too many rules.

A 2 week rail pass is going to cost you more than $300. But if you're just going to do Kyoto and Tokyo, you could easily get by with the 1 week pass.

As long as you don't booze it up too much your budget should be fine. If you go to any clubs in Tokyo, count on a 3000yen entry free, and (at least) 500 a drink, which can add up quickly.

btw, if you're traveling around Obon in August, you'll need to book your accommodation way in advance, and compete with hordes of Japanese travlelers.

Get 40% OFF
WCR91
Established Presence

Postby WCR91 » March 15th, 2007 11:36 am

Well, I just checked on some flights, and they're only around $1100....so I can dedicate the rest of that 500 to staying somewhere and eating good. Although this might be a bad question for me to ask, how old would I have to be to go into said "clubs"?

And how old do I have to be to play pachinko? (>.<)

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » March 15th, 2007 4:24 pm

20 is the age where you can smoke and drink legally.
So you can probably go to clubs and pacinko parlours then too.

These sites might be useful to you to see what's available in terms of accommodation.
http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/en/
http://www.itcj.jp/index.html
http://www.hostelworld.com/countries/japanhostels.html

If all five of you share a room in Japanese style inns the cost comes down a bit.
I reckon you've allowed about 5000yen a night which should be doable.
Same with eating. 5000 a day also seems reasonable.
But by 09 who knows what way prices will go.

WCR91
Established Presence

Postby WCR91 » March 15th, 2007 11:16 pm

Thanks, Beltonさん。

I'll be sure to check out those sites. Like I say, it's a long way away, but we're all just thinking about an estimate so we can get the money together. I'm also anxious to hear Buellerさん's 二円 worth.

Return to “Visiting Japan”