Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

5 weeks in Japan - How best to spend it?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

NickT
Expert on Something

5 weeks in Japan - How best to spend it?

Postby NickT » February 10th, 2007 3:58 pm

I have 5 weeks booked off work this summer, and I am planning to spend them in Japan. I spent 4 weeks in Japan a few years ago, travelling around on a japan rail pass/shinkansen and doing lots of sightseeing in honshuu and kyuushuu, which was great. This time I would like to do something a bit different. Does anyone have any good ideas, or personal experiences they can relate, on how to best spend 5 weeks in Japan?

Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » February 11th, 2007 7:25 pm

I've always though walking/hiking portions of a country was the best way to enjoy it, but then again people have been known to tell me that I have problems...

Something I want to do is ride a bunch of ferries around. You can even get them to S. Korea or mainland China. Or maybe you could pick one of the several pilgrimage routes, and walk that. (The Shikoku 88 Temple is my personal pic.)

Get 40% OFF
NickT
Expert on Something

Postby NickT » February 26th, 2007 7:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, that sounds interesting.

I was thinking about something like a homestay perhaps... or an intensive 1 month Japanese language course. These strike me as good ways to get a lot of exposure to the language in a short amount of time.

Does anyone have any experiences in these kinds of things? Any suggestions?

WCR91
Established Presence

Postby WCR91 » March 7th, 2007 6:42 pm

NickT-san,

I would go for a combination! I think the homestay would be particularly interesting, because you would get to see what Japanese daily life is like. I think an intensive Japanese course would be great to do while you're there, also! Whatever you do, be sure to enjoy yourself.
*tap tap* Is this thing on?

Elana_Miller
New in Town

Postby Elana_Miller » March 20th, 2007 2:06 am

This Japanese language school in Fukuoka sounds perfect for you:

www.genkijacs.com

I recently spent a couple of weeks there. It's a small school so there are not many students in each class and I lived with a local family.

Hope this helps.

NickT
Expert on Something

Postby NickT » March 23rd, 2007 7:06 pm

Thanks Elana, that sounds really interesting. I will definately check it out. Did you get a lot out of your experience there? Would you go back?

Nick

Return to “Visiting Japan”