Or sign up using Facebook

Tokyo's Hanami in March?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jessie_nol
New in Town

Tokyo's Hanami in March?

Postby jessie_nol » January 28th, 2007 4:35 am

Hi All,

It has been 7 years since I last travelled to Japan (Tokyo). I am planning a trip this March for 2 weeks for sight-seeing. One of my main objectives is to see the sakura flower blooming again. I enjoyed it 7 years ago and can't forget the beautiful picture and partying atomsphere.

As the weather now adays are un-predictable, I am worried that this year's hanami may be late.

Does anyone know the period where that Sakura flower will starting blooming this year?

Alan
Expert on Something

Postby Alan » January 28th, 2007 6:32 am

The Japan Meteorological Agency produces a hamami forecast (桜前線 sakurazensen), each year, but there doesn't seem to be one yet this year. They usually do a nice big map, regularly updated to show the flower blooming 'front'.

I did find some archival data here, but it's not as nice as the JMA data, when it's available.

The flower viewing lasts about a week, but that week can move forward/back depending on how the temperatures have been.

Alan

Get 40% OFF
JonB
Expert on Something

with the temps at the moment

Postby JonB » January 29th, 2007 3:08 am

I would say it is more likely to be early this year - but I stress that is just my opinion. It's been a very warm winter so far.

On Saturday I was out and about wearing just a T shirt on top..

We've alrady had hanami in my house - my wife's cousin is an ikebana sensei and the other week we had a delivery of sakura branches in but which then flowered for about the next 10 days.

I do like this Japanese custom of sending things like this and local produce at certain times of the year. My favourites being the biwa from my in-laws in nagasaki and hokkaido potatoes (I think from some school friend of the mother in law)

At the end of the day it is a lottery - but good luck
JonB

Alan
Expert on Something

Postby Alan » January 29th, 2007 6:23 am

If the sakura does flower early & you miss it in tokyo, you could catch the train north to whereever flowering is at it's peak. :D

annie
Expert on Something

Re: with the temps at the moment

Postby annie » January 29th, 2007 8:02 am

JonB wrote:I would say it is more likely to be early this year - but I stress that is just my opinion. It's been a very warm winter so far.

On Saturday I was out and about wearing just a T shirt on top..

JonB

Yet, we also got a huge dumping of snow in Hakuba on Saturday... maybe the most we've had all season.

But you're right, it's really been unseasonably warm all winter.

JonB
Expert on Something

Good news

Postby JonB » February 4th, 2007 12:02 pm

my collegue who's parents live in Nagano say that there was no recorded snow in January for the first time since records started in 1891.

JonB
Expert on Something

Mar 20th

Postby JonB » March 2nd, 2007 8:59 am

Or there abouts apparently. Just saw them putting the lights up on sakura zaka in Roppongi Itchome today

tenki.jp

annie
Expert on Something

Re: Good news

Postby annie » March 2nd, 2007 9:01 am

JonB wrote:my collegue who's parents live in Nagano say that there was no recorded snow in January for the first time since records started in 1891.

uhh, we had snow here in January.

Return to “Visiting Japan”