Or sign up using Facebook

Saying I have something on two different days of the week

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Burijitosan
New in Town

Saying I have something on two different days of the week

Postby Burijitosan » October 25th, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi,

This is my first post here. I am a native English-speaker, and I am taking a college-level Japanese 1010 class. We are using the Genki I textbook that is published by The Japan Times and one of our homework questions asks when we have Japanese class (いつ日本語のクラスがありますか。) Please tell me if I mistranslated that.

I want to say that I have Japanese class on Tuesday and Thursday. So would I be able to use the particle と in between the days of the week? Like so:

"火曜日と木曜日に日本語のクラスがあります。"

Or would I need to use も and turn it into two different sentences, like so:

"火曜日に日本語のクラスがありま。木曜日にもあります。"

Please advise. ありがとう!

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Saying I have something on two different days of the week

Postby community.japanese » October 26th, 2015 5:27 am

Burijitosan さん、
こんにちは。
Well…I really want to help you.
However, that is your homework so if I help you, it should be academic misconduct. :(
Then other listeners might ask about their homework or assignments to us…
Therefore, I can’t help you regarding this question.
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
Burijitosan
New in Town

Postby Burijitosan » October 26th, 2015 5:49 am

All I was asking was if I could use と in that manner. I am attempting to learn how to speak Japanese; how am I supposed to learn if no one will help me?

It isn't like this is mathmatics, and there is only one correct answer. If someone were to help me with the above question, how would it be any different from me going to a tutor for help? If I were to go to a tutor, they would be able to tell me if my use of と was correct, or if I could not use it that way. Then they would explain to me why, and help me figure out a different way to say what I wanted to say using proper grammar. That was all I was asking for.

And to be honest, I could ask my professor about this very same question and she would tell me if I could create one sentence with two days of the week in it using と. However, she is not available until Tuesday, which is when my next class is. (FYI, this homework isn't due until Thursday).

I decided to ask on this forum, because I had been wanting to use it for a while now, and I felt that this would be a good opportunity. I am not trying to be rude, but I would have much rather not had a response from you at all than one where you tell me that you can not help me because it would be "cheating" which is a ridiculous thing to insinuate.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » November 7th, 2015 2:51 pm

Burijitosan san,
Konnichiwa.
Thank you for your post.
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”