Or sign up using Facebook

What Keeps You Going?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Drew
New in Town

What Keeps You Going?

Postby Drew » December 30th, 2006 3:56 am

Hey all,
I've been here before, and gave learning Japanese a shot. I've always wanted to do it, and did my best to learn it.

Well, after about a month of trying to learn it, I stopped.

The reason I stopped was that... I thought about all the Spanish I had tried to learn over the past 5 years or so. This was all in organized classes too. Well, it's a decent amount, but when a song with Spanish lyrics is placed in front of me, I was amazed to see how much I DIDN'T understand. And if it took me that long to get where I am in Spanish (a far easier language than Japanese), it seems as if I'll never get to where I want to be in Japanese. I enjoy listening to the podcasts, but I just feel like I'm not getting anywhere.

Now, I want to give it another shot, but before I do, I fear that I'll just quit again after a month. Can anyone give me a reason to keep going? Anything that I can do to motivate myself more? I'd really love to be at least semi-decent in Japanese.

I know it sounds stupid ("why can't you just take the fact that you want to learn it as motivation enough?"), and I've tried, but I just can't seem to stick with it.

Thanks,
Drew

spinozza
Been Around a Bit

Postby spinozza » December 30th, 2006 5:17 am

Why are you trying to learn Japanese?
Get 40% OFF Forever Discount

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”