a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

What's he saying?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

DF234
New in Town

What's he saying?

Postby DF234 » December 24th, 2006 10:00 pm

Hey guys, I noticed that Peter says stuff like "Yukiri onegaishimasu" alot. What does this mean?

Comazon
Been Around a Bit

Postby Comazon » December 24th, 2006 11:27 pm

"yukkuri onegai shimasu" or "ゆっくりお願いします” roughly translates into "slowly please" or in his case "speak slowly please."

To go a little more in-depth (for those who may care):

yukkuri = slowly
onegai = favor
shimasu = to do

"onegai shimasu" = "to do a favor" = another form of "please"

Technically the verb "speak" is implied by context, and therefore other verbs could be inferred in different situations. For example, if someone was walking too quickly and you couldn't keep up, you should be able to use "yukkuri onegai shimasu." The person can probably assume you want him to walk slowly and will do so. So all in all, it's a good phrase to know!

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Girumon
Been Around a Bit

Postby Girumon » December 24th, 2006 11:35 pm

Before Peter translates, somebody says something that sounds like "今Peterは英語ではいります。 or something like that. I dont feel like checking, but the point is I cant catch the verb. What is it?[/img]

asahi_nysurf
Been Around a Bit

Postby asahi_nysurf » December 24th, 2006 11:51 pm

Girumon wrote:Before Peter translates, somebody says something that sounds like "今Peterは英語ではいります。 or something like that. I dont feel like checking, but the point is I cant catch the verb. What is it?[/img]

hey whats up dude

the verb is 入ります。
はいります。 You got it right.

It literally means to enter, to go in, but in this context it means "Now it's going to be said in english" Hopefully I was helpful "This time, in English."

Merry Xmas!

Girumon
Been Around a Bit

Postby Girumon » December 25th, 2006 5:51 am

Oh.

I tried looking for every verb I could think of that sounded like what he was saying, but it just turns out that Japanese is weird sometimes. Not that English isnt.

tiroth2
Established Presence

Postby tiroth2 » December 27th, 2006 2:00 pm

It's because in this context it means "English will be inserted"--not too weird really.

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”