a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Kanji Dictionary Suggestions

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

CpuWhiz
New in Town

Kanji Dictionary Suggestions

Postby CpuWhiz » December 19th, 2006 11:32 pm

I am looking for a nice, hefty, hardback "reference" kanji dictionary. I really don't want romaji. I would like it to have the usual: stroke order diagrams, compounds, readings, meanings (in English), and maybe some examples or something. I think I would prefer radical lookup over SKIP. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

It would be even better if you could maybe upload images of a entry in any kanji dictionaries you have. Seeing what the entries look like would help me decide on a dictionary. Thanks in advance for your help.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » December 20th, 2006 12:03 am

is there a reason why you want a paper dictionary, rather than a electronic one?

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
CpuWhiz
New in Town

Postby CpuWhiz » December 20th, 2006 12:12 am

I like paper dictionaries, I don't want to stay near my computer, and I don't want to shell out $$$ for a small electronic dictionary right now.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » December 20th, 2006 12:44 am

CpuWhiz wrote:I like paper dictionaries, I don't want to stay near my computer, and I don't want to shell out $$$ for a small electronic dictionary right now.

The original SKIP one by Kodansha (Kanji Learner's Dictionary?) is quite good if you're just sticking to Joyo kanji. It's SKIP, but it also has radical tables and of course phoenetic lookup.

CpuWhiz
New in Town

Postby CpuWhiz » December 20th, 2006 1:15 am

If I wanted a dictionary with just the Joyo I would pick Kodansha's Essential Kanji Dictionary (ISBN 4770028911), but that is not what I am looking for. I'm looking for a reference dictionary (i.e. tons and tons of kanji not in the Joyo list).

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » December 20th, 2006 3:55 am

CpuWhiz wrote:If I wanted a dictionary with just the Joyo I would pick Kodansha's Essential Kanji Dictionary (ISBN 4770028911), but that is not what I am looking for. I'm looking for a reference dictionary (i.e. tons and tons of kanji not in the Joyo list).

Then I'd suggest this one:
http://tinyurl.com/y2ya5h

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » December 20th, 2006 6:02 am

I'm all for having lots of reference books.

But, I'm still going to argue for the electronic dictionary. I have a Canon Word Tank that I bought for 15,000 yen, more than eight years ago, back when that was less than $100 USD.

Sure, that's a significany amount of money to lay out, but it's been worth the investment for me. I use it daily and I carry it with me almost everywhere. (And I hate to study at home, so dragging around a kanji dictionary in my backpack to the coffee house and to work, which is where I do my studying, would be ridiculous.)

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”