Or sign up using Facebook

How do you say...

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

coinflasher
New in Town

How do you say...

Postby coinflasher » November 16th, 2006 3:19 pm

Konichiwa genki desu ka,
My name is Chad Harrelson. I am a karate instructor in Charleston, SC. We use Japanese words and phrases in our classes. Currently, I am putting together an audio CD to gove to the students so they can practice the common commands and phrases. I would like your help with this one... What is the proper way for a student to ask a teacher if they can use the bathroom? I know that sounds funny but it is quite usefull in a class full of kids (and adults). Currently we use the phrase, "Benjo Ni Yuku", however I feel that it is somewhat incomplete. Can anyone help please?

Domo,

-- Chad Harrelson
Mount Pleasant, SC

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: How do you say...

Postby Bueller_007 » November 17th, 2006 12:06 am

coinflasher wrote:Konichiwa genki desu ka,
My name is Chad Harrelson. I am a karate instructor in Charleston, SC. We use Japanese words and phrases in our classes. Currently, I am putting together an audio CD to gove to the students so they can practice the common commands and phrases. I would like your help with this one... What is the proper way for a student to ask a teacher if they can use the bathroom? I know that sounds funny but it is quite usefull in a class full of kids (and adults). Currently we use the phrase, "Benjo Ni Yuku", however I feel that it is somewhat incomplete. Can anyone help please?

Domo,

-- Chad Harrelson
Mount Pleasant, SC

Yeah, "benjo ni yuku" is pretty weird, "benjo" being a pretty casual word, and "yuku" being a formal one.

Something like "O-te-arai, ii desu ka." is probably the most natural, but not particularly formal or grammatically correct.

"O-te-arai ni itte mo ii desu ka" is the winner.
Get 40% OFF Forever Discount

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”