"To hold a referendum"

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

thegooseking
Expert on Something

"To hold a referendum"

Postby thegooseking » September 7th, 2014 2:51 pm

みなさん、こんにちは、

I want to say the following in Japanese:-

On the 18th of September this year, Scotland will hold a referendum about independence from the United Kingdom.

今年9月18日は、スコットランドはUK???独立について国民投票を???
Kotoshi kugatsu jūhachi-nichi wa, Sukottorando wa UK ??? dokuritsu ni tsuite kokumintōhyō wo ???

What I'm most concerned about is what verb I should use with 国民投票 ("national referendum"). Looking up 'hold' in the dictionary doesn't seem to give me the right sense of the word. Would it be something as simple as する (or maybe やる), or is there a particular verb for it?

I'm also not sure what particle I should use to indicate independence 'from' something - I have a feeling it's not から, which is how I would normally translate 'from'.

(I use the rōmaji abbreviation 'UK' because 英国 is pretty ambiguous as to whether it means the UK or England, which is perhaps not an ambiguity that's appropriate given the topic!)

よろしくおねがいします、
小狼

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Re: "To hold a referendum"

Postby mmmason8967 » September 7th, 2014 7:00 pm

小狼さん wrote:What I'm most concerned about is what verb I should use with 国民投票 ("national referendum"). Looking up 'hold' in the dictionary doesn't seem to give me the right sense of the word. Would it be something as simple as する (or maybe やる), or is there a particular verb for it?

I've no idea, but if you forced me to guess I'd go for する too. Or possibly かける, since it pops up nearly as often as する.

I'm also not sure what particle I should use to indicate independence 'from' something - I have a feeling it's not から, which is how I would normally translate 'from'.

This Huffington Post page uses からの in a headline that looks quite relevant:-

スコットランド、イギリスからの独立賛成派が初めて反対派を上回る
sukottorando, igirisu kara no dokuritsu sanseiha ga hajimete hantaiha wo uwamawaru

(I use the rōmaji abbreviation 'UK' because 英国 is pretty ambiguous as to whether it means the UK or England, which is perhaps not an ambiguity that's appropriate given the topic!)

That headline went with イギリス, but I think the word that definitely doesn't mean "England" is 連合王国 ( れんごうおうこく).

マイケル

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » September 9th, 2014 6:29 am

小狼さん、マイケルさん、

今日は。
このニュースを見ましたよ。

The translation should be
今年9月18日にスコットランドではイギリス(連合王国)からの独立を問う (独立についての) 国民投票を実施します。

Just 国民投票をする is fine as マイケルさんsaid.
However, I tried to translate the sentence formally.

イギリス or 英国is used for the UK. Unfortunately, some Japanese people poorly don’t know the UK has English, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. They also think the UK is an ethnically homogeneous nation… I am sorry.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

thegooseking
Expert on Something

Postby thegooseking » September 13th, 2014 3:09 pm

マイケルさん、由紀先生、

ありがとうございます。That makes sense to me :D

小狼

community.japanese
Expert on Something