Or sign up using Facebook

です and だ

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

SGenier
New in Town

です and だ

Postby SGenier » April 25th, 2006 9:18 pm

Hello,

I have heard that it is possible to replace です with だ in informal situation and I was wondering was is the difference between だ and simply omitting です.
For example, are these two phrases interchangable ?
私はサイモン。
私はサイモンだ。

Sorry if this question has already been addressed in the podcast, as I have only listened up to lesson 19. If this is the case, I would appreciate if anyone pointed me to the podcast in question.

有難う in advance.

kinoko
Been Around a Bit

Postby kinoko » April 25th, 2006 9:36 pm

they all mean the same thing, but there's just a different nuance. da makes everything seem a bit more emphatic and assertive, and thus sort of manlier or rougher. but i hear girls say da all the time, too, so it's not restricted to males like zo or ze.
the early bird may get the worm, but the late-rising worm lives.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
SGenier
New in Town

Postby SGenier » April 25th, 2006 9:53 pm

有難うございます、 kinokoさん。

kinoko
Been Around a Bit

Postby kinoko » April 25th, 2006 10:42 pm

どういたしまして!  :D

i recommend you read http://guidetojapanese.org/copula.html. it goes really in-depth.

SGenier
New in Town

Postby SGenier » April 25th, 2006 11:41 pm

Great website.

I just have one question regarding い-adjectives. It is written that you should use だ only with nouns and な-adjectives and never with い-adjectives. But in begginer lesson 4, Peterさん, Kazunoriさん and Natsukoさん are saying
貴方は面白いです。
whitch contains the い-adjective 面白い followed by です.
I guess then that です can be used with these adjectives, but not だ. Is it correct ?
And are there more important differences between the two words ?

kinoko
Been Around a Bit

Postby kinoko » April 26th, 2006 12:15 am

yes, you're correct (and you cant say ~nai da either)... i believe that IS covered on that site, though, and tae kim explains better than i can. tae kim believes that desu and da aren't actually the same words in different politeness levels, though, and i remember him using this in his explanations as to why you don't use da with i-adjectives. but others say that's not true...

i'm not fluent... so maybe someone else could help us out here... :?

Charles
Established Presence

Postby Charles » May 9th, 2006 9:38 pm

It's helpful if you do not think of です and だ as interchangeable because they're really not.

You cannot use だ to ask a question like you can with desu. Likewise, you cannot use constructions that would follow か, like かも知れない. You also cannot use it before words that express appearances, like 見たい or らしい.

You'll notice that most of the things you can't say with だ are things you would want to say if you are uncertain or speaking about the existence of something in the future.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » May 16th, 2006 4:01 am

Charles wrote:You cannot use だ to ask a question like you can with desu.

I assume you mean that you cannot use it in the same manner as "desu". But you can, in fact, use it to ask a question. It's all about intonation with "da". Intonation goes up, and it's a question.

For example:
「何だ?」is a valid question used all the time by guys. (Pronounced "Nan da".) It also becomes「何だっけ?」when you're trying to remember something.

And you can optionally use it in combination with the informal question particle「い」(assuming you're a guy).
あんた、何を見てるんだい?("What are you looking at?")

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”