Or sign up using Facebook

Yes it's probably a sily question..

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Vito
New in Town

Yes it's probably a sily question..

Postby Vito » July 26th, 2006 3:56 pm

Ok guys, first off, hello!
I've been listening to the podcast for a while, but I'm going to Japan tomorrow, so i decided to post randomly.

One question I've been wondering, and it's probably silly i know, but...Kanji, is it Japanese, or is it Chinese, because on the podcsats, I keep hearing Peter saying that you have to change the Chinese characters, i can't remember the exact thing, but i get the impression that Japanese uses Chinese written characters, can anyone clear this up for me..please?

Also, Seeing as, at the moment, I'm only up to the podcasts from about March, and I'm not very confident, (as i'm the only person in my family with any knowleage of Japanese, and I'm only 15 8)), would the Japanese find it rude if they ask you something and all you say is the word for 'I don't know' (i cant rememeber it at this time but i have it written down), or is there somethig else to say to get through you cannot understand them.

Well that's pretty much it, time to go on Holiday tomorrow..hurrah!

Wish me luck..

All the best.
Yep, Japanese is rather awesome. So is this podcast.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Yes it's probably a sily question..

Postby Bueller_007 » July 26th, 2006 6:33 pm

Vito wrote:Kanji, is it Japanese, or is it Chinese, because on the podcsats, I keep hearing Peter saying that you have to change the Chinese characters, i can't remember the exact thing, but i get the impression that Japanese uses Chinese written characters, can anyone clear this up for me..please?

Kanji are imported from China. Kana are native Japanese derivatives of these characters that took their pronunciation, but have no meaning. Try a Wikipedia search and you'll get lots of info.

would the Japanese find it rude if they ask you something and all you say is the word for 'I don't know' (i cant rememeber it at this time but i have it written down), or is there somethig else to say to get through you cannot understand them.

Just say something like "sumimasen, nihongo ga wakaranai desu" and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your vacation.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » July 30th, 2006 4:30 am

would the Japanese find it rude if they ask you something and all you say is the word for 'I don't know' (i cant rememeber it at this time but i have it written down), or is there somethig else to say to get through you cannot understand them.

I agree with, Bueller_007. You have probably already listened to the 'Survival Japanese' podcasts and found out that you can also use phrases like, "mou ichido yukkuri onegai shimasu" = please say it again slowly. If you are up to March in the podcasts then I think you definitely have enough knowledge to enjoy trying out your Japanese and having a great time even if you have trouble understanding what is said. But I guess you already know how to get by as you'll be in Japan by now! I hope you are enjoying yourself...

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”