a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

using casual speech in forums/online..大丈夫かな

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

7daytrial
Been Around a Bit

using casual speech in forums/online..大丈夫かな

Postby 7daytrial » October 20th, 2007 7:01 pm

I was wondering if it's okay to use casual speech such as ore, da, kimi in online japanese forums/websites? It seems like most use casual/very casual and don't really completely write grammatical sentences (such as leaving particles out).

Is it okay to use casual speech without seeming rude?

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » October 22nd, 2007 1:28 pm

i'm not an expert on this topic.

but, i think it all depends on who your talking to you and your relationship with them.

for example, if it's my own blog and that's my space, i figure i can make the rules. so casual. some people who comment don't know me, so they respond in polite or mix it up until they feel like i've accepted them. if i post on my friends' blogs, i use casual. but if it's a forum and i don't know anyone, i'll switch to formal. if it's my first time corresponding with a person, i use formal.

i think the rules are pretty much the same online as in a face-to-face encounter. if everyone's cool with each other, than you can use casual. if not, stick to the polite stuff - you won't annoy anyone (at least from a stylistic standpoint).

marky
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Get 40% OFF
jp101crew
Been Around a Bit

from native speaker's point of view on this.....

Postby jp101crew » October 23rd, 2007 3:45 am

It depends on who you are talking to.
In my case, i write up my blogs with sometimes formal Japanese but sometimes informal, cuz I don't care who would see my blogs.

And replying to comments or something like that, I still use casual way but responding to someone you don't know, higher status people or older than me...etc etc.... I will switch to formal Japanese no matter what.

Of course, you can use them, ore, kimi or da even in replying to comments, cuz it's your style.
These words sound really offensive(especially "kimi"...), some people can't accept that style, the others can...

7daytrial
Been Around a Bit

Postby 7daytrial » October 24th, 2007 4:08 am

Thanks for the replies.

So it seems like for people who are older/higher status formal speech is a must, and people who are the same age/status or below its up to you when you feel its appropriate to use casual based on the strength of relationship and whether or not you want to show superiority.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » October 28th, 2007 10:03 pm

7daytrial wrote:Thanks for the replies.

So it seems like for people who are older/higher status formal speech is a must, and people who are the same age/status or below its up to you when you feel its appropriate to use casual based on the strength of relationship and whether or not you want to show superiority.

7daytrial-san! :wink:

Thank you for a great topic my friend! :ue: :akushu:

johnpals80_513755
New in Town

Re: using casual speech in forums/online..大丈夫かな

Postby johnpals80_513755 » September 22nd, 2016 7:38 am

www.letspal.com

I found free website one of the best dating / make friends website while language & culture exchange ,here is a bit with similar face,twitt,insta ,you can post what you like to share about your life style ,music , chattings , all members are really qualified nice person, I love " LetsPal" communication

johnpals80_513755
New in Town

Re:

Postby johnpals80_513755 » September 22nd, 2016 7:39 am

markystar wrote:i'm not an expert on this topic.

but, i think it all depends on who your talking to you and your relationship with them.

for example, if it's my own blog and that's my space, i figure i can make the rules. so casual. some people who comment don't know me, so they respond in polite or mix it up until they feel like i've accepted them. if i post on my friends' blogs, i use casual. but if it's a forum and i don't know anyone, i'll switch to formal. if it's my first time corresponding with a person, i use formal.

i think the rules are pretty much the same online as in a face-to-face encounter. if everyone's cool with each other, than you can use casual. if not, stick to the polite stuff - you won't annoy anyone (at least from a stylistic standpoint).

marky

www.letspal.com

I found free website one of the best dating / make friends website while language & culture exchange ,here is a bit with similar face,twitt,insta ,you can post what you like to share about your life style ,music , chattings , all members are really qualified nice person, I love " LetsPal" communication

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » October 3rd, 2016 12:20 am

san,
konnichiwa.
Thank you for your post.
Team JapanesePod101.com
Yuki 由紀

gangstahmet_514685
New in Town

Postby gangstahmet_514685 » December 17th, 2016 2:16 am

I recommend https://www.penpaland.com its a language exchange-based website.

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”