a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

College Concentration: Japanese or Spanish

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

aprilnic2007
New in Town

College Concentration: Japanese or Spanish

Postby aprilnic2007 » December 26th, 2006 7:40 pm

I am going to start college in August and I need to decide which language to take courses in. I am just starting Japanese and I have taken two years of Spanish in highschool. I want to be in the technology consulting profession. What would you suggest and why?

Abrassart
Established Presence

Re: College Concentration: Japanese or Spanish

Postby Abrassart » December 26th, 2006 9:22 pm

aprilnic2007 wrote:I am just starting Japanese and I have taken two years of Spanish in highschool.

Spanish of course. It's spoken in so many countries around the world (even in the US). :lol:
Very, very nice. Without further ado, let's jump right in!

Get 40% OFF
Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » January 14th, 2007 5:33 am

Some people might disagree, but why not take both? My youngest sister's doing Spanish, Russian, and Japanese all at the same time, so it's possible...

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » January 14th, 2007 6:56 pm

Which one interests you the most?

While a career goal can be a strong motivation, to do the amount of work you need to do to really learn a language (I'm talking years if not a lifetime here) you'll need to have a love of the language and culture to stick with it. Especially when you're trying to do the work needed for all your other courses, your part time job, and life in general !

Other questions to think of are:
Where do you want to work and who do you want to speak to?

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 14th, 2007 10:16 pm

Also note that, because of its certain similarities to English, you'll pick up Spanish a lot faster. Belton is right, though-- you've got to go where you're interested. All the information in the world won't help if you aren't motivated. Learning any foreign language is full of rewards, so there really isn't an incorrect choice.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: College Concentration: Japanese or Spanish

Postby Ulver_684 » April 14th, 2007 8:58 pm

aprilnic2007 wrote:I am going to start college in August and I need to decide which language to take courses in. I am just starting Japanese and I have taken two years of Spanish in highschool. I want to be in the technology consulting profession. What would you suggest and why?

I definitive agree take them both Japanese and Spanish! 8) :wink:

You won't be dissapointed and your will thank yourself for the rest of your life! :D :wink:

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”