a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

design or art students

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Yoshiko
Established Presence

design or art students

Postby Yoshiko » November 25th, 2006 12:00 pm

Konnichiwa! (I see in Tokyo it is Konbanwa! at the moment :) I am from Holland, and I study Visual Communication (graphic design).
Now I'm writing my term paper about Japanese graphic design. I am interested
in design and art education in Japan, but I can only come to the front
door. The university websites, for example, tell nothing at all.
Are you an art or design student in Japan, or have you studied there recently, or do you know anybody who does?
Or maybe a design forum? I'd like to interview someone. Perhaps you have other
tips for me?

circa86
Been Around a Bit

Postby circa86 » December 24th, 2006 8:50 am

Hello Yoshiko,

My girlfriend Yumi just graduated from Osaka University of Arts, which i got the chance ot visit this summer with her, I am going to the Kansas City Art Institute right now. I can't offer you an interview of anyone but I can tell you that the best way is to talk to people at your current school.

My school has a connection with the Osaka school for example.

Are you interested in going to a school or just getting information? going to a school would require a good knowledge of the language definitely and any type of connection in Japan couldn't hurt either.

unfortunately my girlfriend didn't major in design, if she did I'm sure she would love to give you some info.

good luck!

Get 40% OFF
Yoshiko
Established Presence

Postby Yoshiko » December 24th, 2006 3:36 pm

Arigatou, circa86!
I know going to a school in Japan would require good knowledge of the language. I saw it in the exchange 'rules' on some websites. But I'm not planning to study in Japan, because this is my last year and I don't want to do a master study in Japan, which requires VERY good knowledge of the language ;)

What did your girlfriend major in? Because I'm also interested in how art university works in general in Japan. So if she'd like to help me, I would be very pleased.

circa86
Been Around a Bit

Postby circa86 » December 26th, 2006 3:19 am

She majored in Fibers and Dyeing.

She is extremely extremely busy right now and pretty stressed so she won't really be able to help out now, she has been helping so many other people and working hard, I really think she needs a really good break. But I can do my best to help out.

But from my experience at the University in Osaka, it operates very similar to a school in the U.S. or at another University focusing on Art and Design. i wish I could tell you more but I couldn't learn a lot about as I was only there for a day.

good luck with everything.

Yoshiko
Established Presence

Postby Yoshiko » December 27th, 2006 9:23 am

It's OK!

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”