a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Living in Japan - Colleges and Jobs

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

TetsuyaNomura
Been Around a Bit

Living in Japan - Colleges and Jobs

Postby TetsuyaNomura » September 26th, 2009 5:13 pm

I'm a senior in high school from Florida and I'm trying to decide which college to attend. It is my life's goal to live in Japan and I've been trying to figure out which career to pursue in order to meet this end. I read a post from a couple of years ago which said that the biggest job opportunities for foreigners in Japan (other than English related jobs) are in marketing and computer science. Is this still true? If so, does anyone know which colleges and universities I should consider that have good Japanese and computer science programs? I've been thinking about double majoring in Japanese and computer science at a university somewhere here in the states and then going on to get a masters degree at a university in Japan.
Thanks.
Last edited by TetsuyaNomura on September 26th, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mieth
Expert on Something

Postby mieth » September 26th, 2009 8:08 pm

If you are still in highschool I recommend going to a language school in Japan before you try to enter a university. you wont be able to get any jobs in marketing or pretty much anything else other than english as long as you dont have a degree. There are colleges here that teach in english but they are very expensive.

Get 40% OFF
jjkimball
New in Town

Postby jjkimball » September 26th, 2009 9:13 pm

mieth wrote:If you are still in highschool I recommend going to a language school in Japan before you try to enter a university...

On a related topic -- If you want to attend a language school in Japan pre-college, what is a good way to find a good school? Which language schools are well thought of? Are there ones to avoid? Does anyone have experience with a school that they'd like to recommend?

Thanks...

mieth
Expert on Something

Postby mieth » September 26th, 2009 9:30 pm

I went to a school called human academy. they are about as good as you get for a mainstream school that can sponsor a visa for you. The thing is they encourage a lot of talking between the students which can get annoying. Like I didnt want to be speaking in Japanese with my Korean and Chinese classmates if you know what I mean. Also the schools are general heavily kanji intensive. You may think that is good but the method is not really anything that you cant do on your own and you will probably end up resenting the system because in the end little more is done than give you a kanji list to learn. They do excel at teaching grammar which is good. but after about 8 months I felt like If I was only there for the one hour I studied grammar it would be the same thing as studying the entire 4 hours. In the end it sucks because they have you bent over, they sponsor your visa so you have pretty much no choice in what happens and you cant just switch schools because your visa is on the line. I would like to say that it was just my bad experience but I from others I have talked to pretty much all the schools are similar. By the way as an English speaker you may have a tough time as the classes are really designed for Chinese and Korean students. Good luck.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”