Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

nihon ni ikitai ! ! ! help me please (^_~) . . .

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

melmorisato
New in Town

nihon ni ikitai ! ! ! help me please (^_~) . . .

Postby melmorisato » January 27th, 2009 1:14 pm

hajimemashite, mel desu yoroshiku onegai shimasu ...

mina-san konnichiwa, im just a newbie here. i really really want to go to japan, and after i graduate in my studies i plan to move in japan permanently. can anyone please help me ?

i want to know what are the requirement or the process on getting a citizenship from japan ? please give me some advise regarding this...nihon ni ikitai ! ! ! . . .
thank you (^_~) . . .

makoto ni arigatou . . . ja mata (^_~) . . .

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » January 27th, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi Mel,
Welcome to the forums.

Japan-guide has some very good information about living in Japan:http://tinyurl.com/ahf2eu

In regards to citizenship you should be aware that in order to become a Japanese citizen you need to renounce any other citizenship. You can however become a 'permanent resident' without doing this after you have lived in Japan for some time. You can read about one man's experience on getting Japanese citizenship here:http://tinyurl.com/dzjgj3

Also see: http://tinyurl.com/bp22gw for more details about Japanese nationality law.

Good luck! :)

Get 40% OFF
gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Postby gerald_ford » January 27th, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi Mel,

Slow down and take a deep breath. I gather you haven't been to Japan yet. ;)

Japan is romanticized quite a bit by us Westerners. I myself did that a lot before I actually came there years later and realized it was different than I imagined. That's not a bad thing, but you may not find what you expected there, so you really want to go there first for a while, see what it's like, then see if you can find a job. If you can find a job, and after living there a few years, then you might want to think about citizenship.

Like Jkid said, citizenship is a huge issue, and can be a problem later if you need to fly back home suddenly for some reason (sick mother, home finance issues, etc). Speaking from experience living abroad in various places, unless you've sunk roots pretty deep in a country, you really, really don't want to get citizenship there yet.

Now, if you just want to go to Japan, some good advice if you want to succeed:

1. Learn the language!!! Japanese is an especially difficult language to learn, and unless you're willing to put years of effort into it, you might find yourself quickly getting frustrated over there.

2. You need to develop marketable work skills. Teaching English is the easy-way, but I've heard from many that the pay is poor, and you work like a slave, with little chance of promotion. Instead, you should develop other trade skills which coupled with japanese proficiency, would make it much easier to get a nice, comfortable job there.

3. Visit on vacation first, so you can really get an idea what it's like. Culture shock is a really challenging thing to overcome anywhere, and you'd be surprised how hard it can hit. Vacation's are nice way to sample the culture first. Even in English-speaking places, culture shock can be hard, and much harder when it's a non-English speaking country.

...again, all speaking from experience. :)

Best of luck.
--Gerald Ford: Pirate-Viking-Monk in training.

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/

melmorisato
New in Town

Postby melmorisato » January 28th, 2009 12:59 pm

konnichiwa (^_~) . . .

thank you all for the advise . . .

hmm about finding a job ? i think my course will work well in japan ? im an engineering student major in computer engineering (^_~) . . .

hmm and i think your right about the culture shock thing . . . but before working there im planning to get a degree in japan. im planning to study my 2nd course there . . .

so i think studying there will help me overcome things like culture shock and i can also make friends there while studying (^_~) . . .

thank you for giving me some tips, details and idea regarding this topic . . .
it really helped me out thanks . . .(^_~) . . .

mina-san no okage de (^_~) . . . mata ne (^_~) . . .

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”