Or sign up using Facebook

Long term home stay

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

shooto
Been Around a Bit

Long term home stay

Postby shooto » November 21st, 2008 12:40 pm

Hello fellow JP101 members.

Next year in March I intend to stay with a friend who lives in Fukuoka. I would like to be able to stay in Japan for one year. As an English citizen I will apply for the one year working holiday visa to top up my savings if need be.
My question is: should I be refused and thus only be allowed to enter Japan on a 90 day touist visa. Is it easy enough to simply pop across to Korea to re-enter Japan on another 90 day visa ?
Unfortunatley I do not have a batchelors degree so teaching jobs or pretty much any well paying job is out of the question for me. I do however have enough money saved for more than a years stay in Japan which I hope will sway the consulates decision in my favour. At 28 and closer to 29 when I leave I am concerned this may be pushing it.
As this friend of mine is not a family member or spouse I'm guessing she cannot sponsor me either. My main concern with doing a "visa run" is you can potentially be refused entry.
Thanks for reading.

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » November 21st, 2008 8:09 pm

During my stay in Japan I had a chat with a fellow about things like this, and he told me that it really comes down to the whims of the immigration officer. Some people spend 80~90 days in the country, leave to Korea or someplace for a day or two, and then come right back for another 90 days on a new landing permit. Some people can get away with this 3 or 4 times in succession, whereas others will be denied the first time they try it. The immediate assumption for these long stays is that you're working illegally, and that's one issue you don't want to have to argue with the officials.

This was in 2006, before the photograph/fingerprinting initiative was passed, so personally I wouldn't try doing this.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Get 40% OFF
shooto
Been Around a Bit

Postby shooto » November 21st, 2008 8:17 pm

Thanks Psy. I'm really going to have to cross my fingers on this one. I can extend my stay by an additional 90 days if I go to the embassy and request it. Again that is down to the discretion of the embassy staff. If I can walk in and do this in Japanese it might impress them enough to sign off on a visa extension :)
I'll be going up to London in the new year to hand over my application along with CV and my reasons for wanting to stay. Doing things legally and above board is such a hassle no wonder people take their chances :lol:

shooto
Been Around a Bit

Postby shooto » November 21st, 2008 9:38 pm

RE the fingerprinting. Last time I was in Japan this had not yet been implemented, can't say I am looking forward to the long wait in line. No doubt I'll get turned over again like I did at Osaka airport last time. I spoke to a few guys out there who said they all had their bags searched upon entry. You feel like a criminal, plus the chap looked through my journal and my pics and well wishes from friends, then you get to pack your bag again !

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » November 22nd, 2008 3:53 am

I look at it as a shou ga nai situation. Sure, it always feels a invasive to have people looking about your things, but I try to take it positively in knowing that 1) I'm not a criminal, so I haven't any concerns, and 2) These guys are doing their jobs and will certainly find the bad guys when they turn up. Having had some experience in the southern border states in the US, part of me really appreciates a government that holds that kind of control over immigration.

Indeed, there's a huge amount of red tape to deal with and the system is somewhat rigged against foreigners. Word has it that the government will soon be taking Japanese language ability into account when considering visa extensions, so those of us who are serious about the culture may get somewhat of a break. They're certainly going to have to do something about the aging population issue-- loosening up the policies on foreign labor is one of the options. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Good luck with the applications.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

shooto
Been Around a Bit

Postby shooto » November 22nd, 2008 12:08 pm

Psy wrote: Word has it that the government will soon be taking Japanese language ability into account when considering visa extensions

Now you're scaring me :lol: I understand that though.

shooto
Been Around a Bit

Postby shooto » December 10th, 2008 10:05 am

1 Year working holiday visa has been approved and is now stuck firmly into my passport !
I'm looking at a one way flight which comes in at under £500 ($1000). As I intend to stay for the whole year I don't want to buy a return ticket at extra expense only to cancel it 3 months down the line.
I dont seem to be able to find any 12 month tickets either for less than a grand.
I have enough for my 12 month stay but I also have the worst luck and have visions of being turned away and having my trip ruined. (yeah I'm neurotic)
Anyone got any advice or have you entered on a one way with no problems ?
Cheers
Shooto.

houseberg
New in Town

Postby houseberg » December 10th, 2008 10:55 pm

Congrats on the 1 year visa. Honestly; i don't think you have anything to worry about. Just tell them the truth about the tickets being outrageously expensive for a 1 year return flight. I travel alot and the best advice I can offer is:
1. Be polite and greet them in Japanese; even if that is all you know.
2. Don't say anythign else unless asked.
3. Just tell the truth; you have nothing to hide.
4. If they ask about money; tell them you will take it out at the ATM when you need it, because it is too dangerous to walk around with alot of cash. I don't think they ask this anymore, but just incase.

Send us an update and have a blast in Japan. You know it is Fugu season now in Fukuoka. We will all be living vicariously through you. Oh yea; remind them you are not American and didn't vote for Bush; that should help...lol

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » December 11th, 2008 2:10 am

Indeeds, congrats on the approval. Seeing as I'm looking at doing a long term program myself at some point, I did a little homework on this and supposedly you don't need a return ticket for a longer stay. However, it wouldn't hurt to give your local Japanese consulate a call just to be sure. They've always been prompt about answering my questions. From what I've read, some people buy a return tickets on a much nearer date just to have the piece of paper (and a lower fare) available, but to be honest I don't think immigration is quite dumb enough to fall for it.

... and since politics have been brought up, it's always amused me that the Japanese Liberal Democratic Party is actually conservative. :o

shooto
Been Around a Bit

Postby shooto » December 11th, 2008 10:58 am

Thanks guys. I'm going to fire off an email to the embassy with regards to the one way flight. I can't wait to go, 107 days and couting. Speaking of Fugu season, I was in shimonoseki last time, they love fugu (or fuku as they call it) pictures of the fish all over town, it's even imprinted on the drain covers.
I tried it, it's not bad, hardly a taste sensation for me to be honest. If any of you do go to Shimono there is a sushi place near the docks, very good sushi. The locals were quite bemused to see a tall skinny gaijin eat 10 or so plates of sushi and 5 beers ! In fact I got stared at quite a lot, a little uncomfortable at times but you get used to it.
8)

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » December 11th, 2008 1:44 pm

it's always amused me that the Japanese Liberal Democratic Party is actually conservative.

Agreed. :)

There is actually a Japanese Politics subforum here but its hidden for some reason. I love politics and would love to have use of that forum to discuss political stuff.

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » December 11th, 2008 8:22 pm

shooto wrote:Thanks guys. I'm going to fire off an email to the embassy with regards to the one way flight. I can't wait to go, 107 days and couting. Speaking of Fugu season, I was in shimonoseki last time, they love fugu (or fuku as they call it) pictures of the fish all over town, it's even imprinted on the drain covers.

As we know, the entire reason you eat fugu is to be able to tell people you've done it... which... I haven't. I'm a wimp. I don't like the idea of something supposedly bland having the chance to kill me.

At any rate, 107 days go by really fast (admittedly not as fast as they do while you're in Japan...), so be sure to get ready!

jkid wrote:There is actually a Japanese Politics subforum here but its hidden for some reason. I love politics and would love to have use of that forum to discuss political stuff.

At the risk of going further off-topic, of all the time I've been here I'd never known that. My knowledge of Japanese government policies could be considered "bad" at best, so It'd be interesting to see more-- if nothing else, to maybe find a decent explanation of why they've been going through so many prime ministers.

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » December 12th, 2008 3:18 pm

if nothing else, to maybe find a decent explanation of why they've been going through so many prime ministers.

It basically comes down to 3 things:

1. Corruption/Scandal - forced resignation
2. When a leader can't pass bills through the upper house because of the DPJ or otherwise.
3. Party in-fighting

Most often scandal though. Abe's resignation in 2007 came about because of a combination of all three

The LDP really did bad in the Upper House election and that put a lot of pressure on Abe because obviously he was blamed. His newly appointed Agriculture Minister was involved in some kind of scandal and resigned. His replacement for the replacement resigned seven days later after being involved in a scandal himself.

So that's kind of an example :)

shooto
Been Around a Bit

Postby shooto » December 15th, 2008 11:09 am

Well I just spoke to the embassy. It seems that I should be OK with the visa. I am not 100% happy that I cannot get a straight answer though, the fact that I could potentially be turned away still irritates me somewhat.
Will search around for deals on open return flights the cheapest being just over £900 so far from STA. The one way deal with japan travel centre is £500 so you can see my reluctance to part with that much extra cash especially as I will more than likely leave Japan by boat to Korea before finally flying home.
I'm going to look into courier flights with british airways too. Tokyo return for £375 !

shooto
Been Around a Bit

Postby shooto » December 15th, 2008 2:21 pm

I'm going to stop flapping now ! Sorted out a flexible one year ticket to Tokyo for 600 pounds. Will have to get a domestic to Fukuoka but thats no problem.
Can't wait to get going now !

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”