a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

JET Scheme

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Taurus
Expert on Something

JET Scheme

Postby Taurus » July 25th, 2008 10:29 pm

So my girlfriend would like to move back to Japan, and I'd quite like to move back with her. Except my Japanese language skills are still pretty basic. Her dad's trying to get me a job in the games industry, but even if he managed to find a job for me, I'd be reluctant to take it up on account of my language skills.

So I was thinking that the JET scheme might offer an opportunity to move to Japan and improve my language skills in advance of maybe looking for a 'proper' job.

So does anybody have any advice or information about the JET scheme?

zakojanai
Established Presence

Postby zakojanai » July 26th, 2008 12:56 am

Hi Taurus, thanks for the help with the Ipod.
I wrote a really long reply about JET, but then my connection decided to crap out and I lost it. So, here's the gist.
I'm finishing up my third year on JET and I've enjoyed it immensely. I'm sad to leave and plan on coming back to Japan. Once you're in Japan, it's much easier to find work. A lot of JETs stick around doing various things. Some continue to teach English, while others find work elsewhere. If I wasn't going to law school this fall, I'd be working here myself.
As for JET itself, I had a really good school situation, but not all are so lucky. But somethings that every JET has are a tax free salary, lots of free time and 20 days vacation.
There are some possible drawbacks, though. You're likely to be placed in a rural area and if you're girlfriend is from a city I wouldn't count on being placed near here. I was placed in the prefecture next to where my girlfriend lives. And if your girlfriend is from Tokyo, forget about it. The year I came, two JETs were placed in Tokyo. And I'm pretty sure they weren't in the 23 ku. Or if they were, they were probably SEAs or CIRs. Another drawback is that the application process is quite drawn out. You'll have to submit your application around November, have an interview in February and find out if you made it in May.
That's all for now, but feel free to ask me any more questions.

Get 40% OFF
Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » July 26th, 2008 6:40 am

Oh dear. Well thanks for your reply! Hope your ipod's feeling a bit better. That info's all really useful. To be honest, we wouldn't mind being stuck out in the countryside so that wouldn't be a drawback for us. I'm more concerned by the application process - I don't have any experience teaching, and I'm concerned that my background in videogames might be held against me. I've heard stories that they try to discourage otaku from applying. I'm not really an otaku, but I could see how my CV might make someone think otherwise...

zakojanai
Established Presence

Postby zakojanai » July 26th, 2008 6:59 am

A background in video games might even be an advantage, just because it's different. The JETs (in my area at least) are pretty diverse. Some came in with teaching experience, but most of us come in with none. Like they say, all you need is a college degree and an interest in Japan to be eligible. I've had a great time here and if you can wait out the application process, I think it's worth it.
And don't worry. You should be able to get at least an interview to prove you're not an otaku. Besides, I know more than a couple of JETs who are loud and proud otaku.

hatch_jp
Expert on Something

Postby hatch_jp » July 26th, 2008 9:55 am

Jet program is not the only way to get a job in Japan.
In fact, the English language education is one of the biggest industories in Japan.
There are a lot of private launguage schools and they are looking for new candidates as a teacher all around the year eveywhere in Japan.
It is bit difficult to find a job outer side of Japan, but it is very easy to do it when you are in Japan.
Once you go to Japan and stay in your g/f home, you can apply for a job near her house.

http://www.eltnews.com/guides/teaching/ ... ide1.shtml
http://www.gaijinpot.com/job_search.php

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » July 28th, 2008 11:08 pm

Thanks for the links! I'll check them out...

binz
Been Around a Bit

Re: JET Scheme

Postby binz » August 8th, 2008 3:12 pm

Great threads guys, lots of info!

Taurus wrote: Her dad's trying to get me a job in the games industry

That's handy! :D Are you modeller/animator/programmer? I myself am a recent graduate in animation. I have to agree, learning to speak Japanese is extremely difficult at learning the terms and basic language needed specifically in that industry would be another hurdle entirely!

Taurus
Expert on Something

Re: JET Scheme

Postby Taurus » August 8th, 2008 6:34 pm

binz wrote:Are you modeller/animator/programmer?

Nope. I have no skills. I just writeabout games, and have some experience in production.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » August 9th, 2008 12:56 pm

Sounds pretty serious of you want to move to Japan because of your girlfriend. If it's that serious though, why aren't you not married to her yet? Just curious :oops:

What games have you been involved in producing? Anything on consoles?
お茶漬け海苔

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » August 9th, 2008 1:40 pm

We're getting married! We have a civil ceremony arranged for the end of September. We're waiting till we've got money for a formal ceremony with all our friends and family though (I posted another thread about that, actually).

As for games, I met my girlfriend working at Rockstar's London office. Between us we've worked on several console games in some capacity (it was quite strange seeing someone playing Liberty City Stories on the train the last time we were over there, because only a short while before she'd been helping with the localisation of the game).

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » August 9th, 2008 3:14 pm

おめでとうございます! May you have a awesome wedding and happiness in the future!

Rockstar eh? I must say I know your work well! So are you still at Rockstar or are you between jobs? If I'm being too nosy, just let know. Being a gamer, this sort of stuff fascinates me.
お茶漬け海苔

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » August 9th, 2008 5:35 pm

Before I worked at Rockstar I worked for a British games magazine. After I left Rockstar I took up writing again, but on a freelance basis, so I've written a couple of books and write for a few gaming sites, and occasionally for videogame publishers. And I also started a small company with friends that's slightly videogame related. And we also have a blog where we occasionally write about games, but more often we just swear and offend people. ANYTHING ELSE, NOSY? :wink:

binz
Been Around a Bit

Postby binz » August 10th, 2008 4:03 pm

Taurus wrote: ANYTHING ELSE, NOSY? :wink:

Rockstar certainly left an impression on you :P :twisted:

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » August 12th, 2008 12:06 am

binz wrote:

That's quite tame compared to the content Rockstar produces :D
お茶漬け海苔

binz
Been Around a Bit

Postby binz » August 13th, 2008 3:37 pm

ochazuke wrote:
binz wrote:

That's quite tame compared to the content Rockstar produces :D

Yeah I never really did have anyone call me nosy on the streets of GTA IV.

Why are you looking for work through the JET scheme? Surely you want work in the games industry, but JET is an english language teaching scheme right?

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”