Or sign up using Facebook

"Teach English" companies

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

hairlet
Been Around a Bit

"Teach English" companies

Postby hairlet » June 20th, 2008 1:08 pm

Hi All

I'm seriously considering moving to Japan in order to increase my Japanese language abilities.

Can people post names of recruitment companies, such as Aeon and JET. Also, if known, details of their reputation, pay, employee care etc...

Any nightmare stories are welcome too. For entertainment value. :wink:

Thanks!

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » June 20th, 2008 9:30 pm

There are nightmare stories to go with any major commitment like this, however if you wish to teach English in Japan, JET is the way to go. It's not a company so much as it is a government program. Just don't use it as an excuse to get into Japan- this is a major commitment, and rather than Japanese you will be spending much of your time thinking and conversing in English.

Just so you know! がんばって!
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Get 40% OFF
hairlet
Been Around a Bit

Postby hairlet » June 21st, 2008 6:13 am

I appreciate your honesty.

My motivation for doing this...
My Japanese girlfriend will be moving back to Japan due to her International Graduate Scheme expiring. She doesn't want to go back onto a student visa and has found it too hard to get a job in England, with her current qualifications.

So, I'm thinking that if I can improve my Japanese considerably, there is a subsequent opportunity to get a good job in Japan for myself. My Japanese is already okay...ish. It definately needs work though. And the only way to improve so quickly is to live in Japan...

So, my best way of getting work with my current language skills in Japan, is teaching English. Alternatively, I am a web designer and musician in England... but I think the likelyhood of being able to make a living out of those skills with my current language abilities, are slim.

Any different work options anyone can suggest are gratefully received. Maybe a job at JP101. :wink:

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » June 23rd, 2008 12:29 am

I think your approach is probably quite a good one and as long as you have a degree then a visa should not be a problem.

Work opprotunities for web designers are probably there as well - goodness knows they need help on good web design here! But especially after being more comfortable in Japanese there will be many more opportunities.

Don't know about musicians.

hairlet
Been Around a Bit

Postby hairlet » June 23rd, 2008 12:24 pm

I have had another suggestion for being immersed in Japanese and have created a new thread here - http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18863#18863

Thanks.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”