Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Work Visa (apply before or after arriving in Japan?)

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

cliang78
New in Town

Work Visa (apply before or after arriving in Japan?)

Postby cliang78 » May 20th, 2008 4:17 am

I'm probably going to find a teaching job in Tokyo (flying there next week). Will the company that hires me sponsor my visa or am I supposed to have one ready before I apply for a job?

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Re: Work Visa (apply before or after arriving in Japan?)

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » May 20th, 2008 11:50 am

cliang78 wrote:I'm probably going to find a teaching job in Tokyo (flying there next week). Will the company that hires me sponsor my visa or am I supposed to have one ready before I apply for a job?

That's something you need to ask your employer. Don't assume they'll sponsor you. They might be under the assumption that you already have permission to work in Japan. Ask and be sure.
お茶漬け海苔

Get 40% OFF
hatch_jp
Expert on Something

Postby hatch_jp » May 20th, 2008 1:48 pm

To get a work visa you need to have a contract ducument and relevant documents that a company which will hire you issue for you. However, not all the companies issue the documents. You have to apply for a company which can provide you with necessary documents to apply for.

After you get it, you have to go to an embassy or a consulate of Japan outside Japan to make the visa application.

Please refer following site. It could be helpful for you.
http://www.eltnews.com/guides/teaching/ ... ide1.shtml

cliang78
New in Town

Postby cliang78 » May 20th, 2008 2:23 pm

Ah, I see. I'm mainly just worried about having to exit the country to obtain a work visa. If I can apply for one after arriving without needing to buy another plane ticket, then great! Thanks for the info :D

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » November 20th, 2008 6:15 am

What is the procedure for renewing your work visa? How long does it take, and will I have to do everything or will my company take care of it?

Is there any reason why I'd get another 1 year visa or could I get a 3 year one? Would the company have to request a longer term one? I've already told them that I like working here, and want to continue, so at least they know my views. As far as I know they've been most helpful in training me, since I've switched fields. At least they wouldn't have to find anyone overseas since I'm here and want to work. :)

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » November 20th, 2008 2:30 pm

What is the procedure for renewing your work visa? How long does it take, and will I have to do everything or will my company take care of it?

This should at least give you a basic idea of what you need to do: http://www.chipple.net/mt/2004/01/24_000429.php

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”