a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Really strange question about pets...

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

lessthansign3
New in Town

Really strange question about pets...

Postby lessthansign3 » November 20th, 2007 7:52 pm

Okay, I have spent a lot of time in Japan before. I went there as an exchange student for nearly a year and have traveled back for visiting as well. I am going to study abroad there again while I'm in college and have considered moving back there for a few years to teach English or something, but I do have one rather strange question...

...Does anyone have any experience with pets and moving to Japan? I have a rabbit and a chinchilla, and both will still be with me when I would be moving there if they remain in good health. Chinchillas can live up to 20 years and mine is only 3. I'd absolutely hate to have to give them up, and in fact, I probably won't move there at all if I had to (I have a friend who will take them when I study abroad for a semester again next year). So yeah, if anyone knows anything about importing pets and quarantines and what not, please let me know. Thanks!

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » November 24th, 2007 4:36 am

iot's not such a strange question. 8)

i don't for certain, but i've heard quarantine is like 6 months or something. sounds pretty stressful for the pet. especially if you plan to return to your home country and put them thru it all over again. you can probably find info on the japanese embassy website.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Get 40% OFF
phileuro
New in Town

Postby phileuro » January 9th, 2008 12:40 pm

Depends where you are moving from.... Japan, I believe, is in the pet-passport zone. I believe that we can bring our dogs from Spain to Japan without quarantine (it was a year ago I looked at this, so I may be mistaken).

Check here (and other places on the web):
http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/japan.cfm

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”