a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Correct Japanese font names

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

rshiplett
Established Presence

Correct Japanese font names

Postby rshiplett » August 31st, 2013 1:05 pm

I forgot to add that one of my new applet's lets you see the correct font name in Japanese if you are using, say, the free fonts from Epson or the M+ project ( and displays that name in that very font.)

Anyone can write a Curl applet to test fonts in a few moments on most any device.

If you are comfortable writing a short script, let me know what pointers you may need.

Whether in Curl or in HTML+CSS, remember to test a font using the kind of text layout that you will face on real pages - whether that is narrow columns or long wide paragraphs ... and the contrast, colours, brightness.

Remember : a larger font (12pt+ ) will not always be more readable than a smaller font (12-14pt). Reading is about recognition and much of what we were taught in an earlier generation is now debunked/dismissed by stronger scientific evidence from more reliable experiments with better tested theory.

Turning up your screen resolution will put more text on the page ... and that would then be a new reading context ... so be sure not to be comparing apples-to-oranges ! Now, what is that idiom in Nihongo ?

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Re: Correct Japanese font names

Postby mmmason8967 » September 1st, 2013 9:34 pm

The applet that lists the installed Japanese fonts (http://aule-browser.com/nihongo/nihongo-fonts.html) is very useful. Thanks for that!

マイケル
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”