Or sign up using Facebook

Japanese Language textbooks

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

miileebsl9912
New in Town

Japanese Language textbooks

Postby miileebsl9912 » April 9th, 2013 7:13 am

Hi,
Can you guys just suggest me which are the popular Japanese language textbooks used in US universities and colleges?

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Japanese Language textbooks

Postby community.japanese » April 12th, 2013 11:52 am

miileebsl9912-san,
kon'nichiwa!

I'm not very sure which one is the most popular in the US, but as long as you use one of those major/popular
ones (i.g. みんなの日本語, Japanese for Busy People, 日本語の基礎 etc.) it should be fine.

Someone who knows better about US university classes, please give us your thoughts! :D

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
Valeriedreid6207
New in Town

Postby Valeriedreid6207 » April 15th, 2013 10:53 pm

I am using Elementary Japanese Volume One, written by Yoko Hasegawa- a professor at University of California at Berkeley. It has been working out well for a self study guide.
http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Japane ... 0804835047

I have also heard good things about the Genki series:
http://www.amazon.com/GENKI-Integrated- ... ds=genki+1

However, my favorite "textbook" to date is Human Japanese, the computer/ ipad/ mobile phone based text book. It is great because at the end of every chapter there is a built in vocabulary flash card tool, every word and most sentences have audio attached that can be played by simply tapping the text (and read by a native speaker)-- where as with text books you have to put the cd in, find the track, etc... What it covers is very basic, for more advanced beginner things there is Human Japanese Intermediate. I have been making my way through the text and am currently on Chapter 20. For me, it is much better than a standard text book as I can take it with me (as it is on my iPhone.) The negative is that it's dictionary stinks, there isn't much listening comprehension for things longer than a sentence, and there aren't any reading exercises for reading comprehension. My Elementary Japanese Text book is better for that. As far as material, it covers about 75% of what the textbook does, but the explanations are wonderful. If you are thinking of getting a textbook for self study, Human Japanese is great for that.
http://www.humanjapanese.com/home.html

However: if you are looking for the full package- listening comprehension, grammar, vocab, kanji, reading comprehension, study ideas (like look at the picture and state what you see and where it is... type exercises). Then Elementary Japanese is great! I just like the convenience of Human Japanese and what HJ lacks (listening comprehension, Kanji and reading comprehension) I am getting from other sources. Like this site for listening comprehension.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » April 16th, 2013 1:04 pm

Valeriedreid6207-san,
thank you very much for sharing the information!!
you're right; getting a complete and perfect deal from one only source is quite difficult.
Hope everyone can find the best combinations :wink:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”