Or sign up using Facebook

JapanesePod101 Mac App Review?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

twilightwii6679
New in Town

JapanesePod101 Mac App Review?

Postby twilightwii6679 » May 14th, 2011 9:41 pm

皆さん、こんにちは!スティーブンでございます。
Okay, so I was wondering if anyone has used the Mac app called "Learn Japanese - Complete Audio Course (Beginner to Advance)" which seems to be made by JapanesePod101.com. I was interested in buying it, but there aren't any customer reviews that I can find (either in the app store or on the internet!)

I am a lower-intermediate level Japanese learner, and I was planning on purchasing the textbook "Tobira Gateway to Advanced Japanese" in a couple fo weeks. However, this mac app would cost the same price, and be much more convenient (since I can just download it straight to my Macbook Pro).

Furthermore, the app is currently priced at $49.99, but only for a limited time (the full price is $100 it looks like). That is about how much it would cost to buy the Tobira textbook, but the app seems to come with a lot more content (more bang for the buck.) What worries me is that the content of the app isn't all that it's advertised to be. I'm worried about whether there is suitable writing and reading practice at each of the specific levels (which is something I know a textbook will provide.) I'm also unsure of how much of the app I'll actually use. As I said earlier, I'm at a lower-intermediate stage of learning, which means that I would only be using a little less than half of the app (the sections are Introduction, Survival Phrases, Absolute Beginner, Lower Beginner, Beginner, Upper Beginner, Lower Intermediate, Intermediate, Upper Intermediate, and Advanced). Though it is advertised that this app comes with 286 lessons, I have to wonder how many of these lessons make up the Lower Intermediate through Advanced sections. The textbook, however, is a full resource that I would be able to use from start to finish.

And finally, I wanted to know if I would get updates for this app for free. I do get free updates on all of my iPhone apps, but I've never bought any mac apps before (or any apps of such high price!) I realize that a staff member may need to answer this, so I'll probably shoot them an email myself.

So anyway, I was just wondering if anyone on here had anything to say about the app. I realize that it's only been out for about a month, so I'm not sure many people have used it (though perhaps it's similar to the iPhone version of the app? I think it's called Pocket Japanese.) It appears to be based off of JapanesePod101.com, so any insight you can offer me into the upper-level lessons on here would be much appreciated. And of course, imput from users of this app would be awesome as well!

ありがとうございます!

johanness
New in Town

Also wonering

Postby johanness » July 26th, 2011 1:45 pm

I am also looking for reviews of this app.
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”