a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

anki question: how to view "failed" cards in due t

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

dudnaito
Been Around a Bit

anki question: how to view "failed" cards in due t

Postby dudnaito » April 23rd, 2011 10:01 pm

I've never come across this problem, because I've usually made my own cards, but I downloaded someone else's deck which happens to have a 100 cards of completely new definitions for me.

I wanted to go through the whole thing (nothing kanji related just definitions and stuff, simple stuff to memorize), so I've been trying to figure out how to make it so that if I get 10 wrong or so, it would show me those 10 cards over again immediately, then once i get better at them, then they'd show me the next couple of cards until I get 10 wrong again, during which time Anki would intersperse the first 10 cards that I now got "right" in between the 10 wrong ones.

I realize I'm making this sound terribly complicated, but basically, I'm not looking for an exact science. I'm just a bit flabbergasted that I have a deck with 100 cards, all of which are completely new to me, but instead of stopping after i get the first 10 wrong, it will NEVER review, it will continue to go through the entire deck, all 100 of them. Then when I start over again, it will still just about never review the first 10, it will just continue to go through all 100 of them again, or it sure seems that way.

I just want to be able to adjust my pace accordingly.

Thank you, and I'm sorry for the lack of eloquence on my part.

j_bertoni2279
Established Presence

Postby j_bertoni2279 » April 23rd, 2011 10:05 pm

When you open a deck, you should get a page labeled "Study Options". Hit the "Reviews" button, and select "Show failed cards soon" under the "Display Order" heading.

Get 40% OFF
dudnaito
Been Around a Bit

Postby dudnaito » April 23rd, 2011 10:27 pm

yes, I've done that.

The problem is that as I've said, all 100 words are NEW cards. They will all be "failed," because they are new, and I have not had the chance to become familiar with them. To be honest, I'm talking about Spanish words not Japanese. I make my own Japanese Kanji deck, so I do not have this problem, since I only add about 20 or so a day. I just figured that a great many Anki users use it for Kanji/japanese purposes, so it seemed best to post it here.

Spanish words are easy to remember, and hopefully without sounding like an arrogant douche, I have a very good memory, both short-term and long-term. When I have 100 physical flashcards, I can go through them completely in about an hour, because I first just grab the first 20, and I will continue to go through them until I get them all right, then I'll add 20 more, etc... putting the ones I get wrong on the left, the ones I get correctly on the right, until they are all on the right, then I'll review the entire stack all over again to ensure it stays in my memory.

I simply want to replicate this method using Anki especially since so many people have generously uploaded their Spanish decks online, I simply grab the definitions I like, make my own deck out of them (in this case 100). The problem as I've stated before is that it won't allow you to view the first wrong 10 or 15 or whatever, it will go over ALL 100 of the "failed" decks, so you can just about never become familiar with any of the cards.

I just figured there might be a function where I could set the max cap of failed cards at 10 or so before I'd be forced to review them again, which is what i want.

j_bertoni2279
Established Presence

Postby j_bertoni2279 » April 23rd, 2011 11:48 pm

Okay, I guess I didn't understand what you're trying to do. I suppose I'd set the deck to add 10 card, go through them until you're happy, then hit the "study more" button after exiting the deck and reentering, and then doing 10 more, repeatedly. I do something similar.

To try to be more clear:

1) Add 10 card, study just them.
2) Hit ^W, to end the session
3) Reopen the deck.
4) Hit review, get the "reviews done" page.
5) Hit "Learn More", and add 10 cards.
6) Hit ^W when the 10 have been added.
7) Reopen the deck to do the reviews.
8) When done with the reviews, hit the "Learn More" button.

Messy, but it does work.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » April 24th, 2011 10:11 am

You can just use the Cram feature. It creates a temporary deck with the cards in a selected tag so you can review specific cards without affecting your scheduling. Personally, I just fail them anyway. It's the 'Correct mature' stat that carries the most meaning in terms of retention.

dudnaito
Been Around a Bit

Postby dudnaito » April 24th, 2011 1:28 pm

I'm just doing the cram right now. I thought what I wanted could have been so easily implemented that the function MUST exist, but obviously that's a logical fallacy in and of itself.

Also, I hesitated to use the cram feature because in prior versions of anki, it didn't use the record of your progress from your cram session in relation to the whole deck, but as far as I can tell, it does in this one, so it suits me fine.

I time myself, cause I've also been trying to increase my memory capacity (inspired after watching memory championships). 100 new Spanish words in 35 minutes, went through review sessions 4 times too. Just woke up, we'll see how much of that sticks. Honestly, compared to Kanji memorization, Spanish is a joke... even those words that don't have obvious Latin/English connections.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”