a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Good conversation book needed

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Good conversation book needed

Postby untmdsprt » January 16th, 2011 9:27 am

Every time I go to a convenience store, shoe store, etc. the cashiers are always asking questions I have no idea what they are. Either they say it too softly and I don't hear, then they get scared when I ask them to repeat themselves, or they just switch to English and then I lose out in hearing the Japanese. I'm looking for something that gives a situation and then gives you the dialog that you should expect.

Also what is a good way to ask them to repeat themselves but in a louder voice since I can't hear very well? Whatever I'm saying results in a deer in the headlight stare that's getting to be annoying.

Thanks. :)

mieth
Expert on Something

Postby mieth » January 20th, 2011 9:38 am

I don't know if I would specifically ask them to speak louder. But you might try something like chotto suimimasen kikitoremasen deshita. mou ichido ittemoraimasu ka. My recommendation for when they try to speak to you in English is to tell them you are from France and don't speak English. Then when they ask to see your gaijin card run out of the store. Knock over boxes of pocky if you need even more time.
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”