Or sign up using Facebook

Downlodable dictionary for my electronic tranlslator

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

bluesiren747158
New in Town

Downlodable dictionary for my electronic tranlslator

Postby bluesiren747158 » November 12th, 2010 1:14 pm

Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting, so if I am in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it :)

Now for my question, I recently bought an electronic tralsator. I love to read Japanese novels/manga as a hobby, but unfortunatelly I don't know that many kanji by heart at this point (about 500 or so) so I rely on looking up kanji a lot. I bought the translator so I could take it with me and read on the go, rather than just at home near my computer. I guess I didn't do my research well enough. The translator I got is not that 'Englsh speaker' user friendly, is more geared to the Japanese native-learning English sort of person. I got the Cannon Wordtank V320, and in all the Japanese-English - English-Japanese dictionaries it has, not one of them has hiragana/furigana/ radical look up. In other words, you must know the reading of the kanji you want to look up to input it using it's reading (in hiragana) if you don't know it, then you're out of luck. I can't look up for ANY of the kanji I see in my books, since I don't know their reading, and those I do know the reading of, I know what they mean, so it's pretty useless to me. The only way I can look up kanji is by using it's radicals. I use Denshi Jisho which is a great site! That is exacly what I wanted from my translator, and I didn't get, so as of now, my investment has gotten very little use, the only think I can use it for is when I watch TV in Japanese and I hear a word I don't know, if I input it as I hear it, I get a list of kanji and English meanings for each of them and then I get to decide which word is the one I want.

Does any of you, more savvy Japanese students know where I can download a dictionary that allows me to look up kanji using radicals, that I can store in a SD card and use with my translator? I have looked online, but I haven't gotten results, but I don't really know where to look, so that doesn't help me any. I would really appreciate any information you guys can provide :)
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”