a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japanese Word processor?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

JesterDev
New in Town

Japanese Word processor?

Postby JesterDev » April 18th, 2010 6:07 am

I am looking for a Japanese Word processor. I have JWPce, which is great, but lacks some features like tables. I have tried NJStar which is great but too expensive, and I have tried Microsoft IME, which does not seem to work with Open Office, at least I cannot get it working.

So are there any other options? I just want something to write notes in, not that I'll be looking at them again, but you never know. Typing them in helps me to memorize things, and get a better understanding of what's going on.

Windows 7

dark_angel29977
New in Town

Postby dark_angel29977 » April 19th, 2010 12:30 am

I like NJStar a lot (It is exceedingly expensive though), but as far as just typing in things in a word processor, I've never had a problem using the microsoft IME to type Japanese into Open Office. Have you set it to use Hiragana? Sometimes the default is alphanumeric instead of kana when you change it to Japanese. You have to click it and manually select the Hiragana option. Try maximizing the bar. If it shows and "A" for the input mode then click that "A" and select "Hiragana."

I have Windows 7 as well.

Join by May 6th
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » April 19th, 2010 1:19 am

You really need to be using an IME. How are you supposed to do instant messaging, add cards to anki or type in your web browser? I use the Google IME which is a lot better than the Microsoft one. You should easily be able to find some information on IME's on Google if you're having trouble using them. Worth dedicating a little bit of time to.

JesterDev
New in Town

Postby JesterDev » April 19th, 2010 6:37 am

I've actually just been pasting from JWPce into Anki so far, but it's rather annoying. I downloaded and installed the Google IME, but can't seem to find it. Not sure how I even activate it. The MS IME is still running.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion! Once I get it running I'll be quite happy.

Edit: Figured it out on my own. I like Google IME much better so far. And it works wonderfully with open office.

ggenglish
Been Around a Bit

Postby ggenglish » April 19th, 2010 1:55 pm

One thing I found annoying about the microsoft IME was not not knowing the proper hot keys for it at the beginning so i didn't have to take my hands of the keyboard. Just in case people don't know them, I believe these are the only shortcuts you need once in the japanese input method:

<ALT>+<`> = toggle between input modes (i.e. western(A) and hiragana(あ) is what you want)
<F7> = convert entire string to katakana, (i.e. no need to use katakana(カ) input selection)

In terms of the not working with open office. I haven't used it but are you sure its not a ASCII/UNICODE issue? In windows if you right click and make a text file it default makes it ASCII. So asian text will be rejected. However, if you save it as UNICODE/UTF-8 then you will be able to. Maybe you have to do something similar in open office. Look for "encoding" options and see what its set to.

good luck!

:twisted:

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”