a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Reversing cards in anki.

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

occultnine
New in Town

Reversing cards in anki.

Postby occultnine » April 14th, 2010 8:24 pm

I am trying to use the Heisig deck in Anki, but it's keyword first and then you guess the kanji; this seems totally pointless to me. So I want to reverse all the cards. I have tried reading their faqs and such, but I can't make sense of any of it. I have messed around with all kinds of options, erased etire decks, but it isn't happening. Can anyone explain how to do it.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » April 14th, 2010 9:28 pm

Totally pointless? The point of Heisig is to learn how to write the characters. If you're being shown them first, then isn't that defeating the object? You can learn to recognise characters (and read them) by reviewing vocabulary, so using a reversed deck would be a waste of time. That's the easy part. Learning to recall them from memory is the challenge, that's why we use Heisig.

If your mind is made up though, all you need to do is add a new card template in the deck properties.

Join by May 6th
occultnine
New in Town

Postby occultnine » April 15th, 2010 3:54 am

Thanks, I finally figured out how to reverse them.
The truth is I never actually read Heisig per se, but I'm somewhat familiar with some of the concepts. I'm already pretty good with writing kanji, but I hear the order of learning them in Heisig is good. I'm sort of just trying to have some vague idea; a keyword or such for all the kanji. It's kind of hard to explain and I may well give up this approach, but it can't hurt to try. I alredy know a good 700~900 kanji or so.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”