Been Around a Bit

I ONLY JUST discovered smart.fm

Postby hairlet » January 5th, 2010 6:21 pm

And its WELL good.

That is all.

QuackingShoe
Expert on Something

Postby QuackingShoe » January 5th, 2010 8:30 pm

Kindof, but all such programs are pretty boring, and this one in particular is also really slow. I demand rapidity from my flashcard programs. If it takes time to make a little success noise and make sure I see it's confirmation screen.... I really don't have the patience for that.
Of course, for that reason, a lot of people download the resources off of smartfm and put them in Anki, which isinstant.
Doesn't solve the 'pretty boring' problem though.

Join by May 6th
hairlet
Been Around a Bit

Postby hairlet » January 5th, 2010 8:57 pm

Hmm.
Although it is quite slow, I like this. It gives me more time to digest the Kanji - something I have trouble remembering. Also, the audio is read instantly in very good quality, and with very clear and natural pronounciation.

If you have any similar sites you can recommend then I'd love to see them. I know there are dozens of links posted throughout this forum, but I am specifically after sites where the audio is of very good quality and is read instantly.

Cheers.

bratja
New in Town

Postby bratja » January 6th, 2010 12:52 am

It's very good for learning to recognize vocabulary, but not when it comes to writing the kanji. I sometimes take the sentences there and plug them into Anki [x but I agree with the "boring" sentiment. I don't see much of a way around it, though

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » January 6th, 2010 12:31 pm

I only use iAnki to review now, since I find it easier to just pick up my iPod and do 10-20 reviews throughout the day. When I'm on the train or something long and boring, I usually take the opportunity to get up-to-date and do a lot of new cards, since I struggle to do new cards after getting up-to-date after doing a strenuous 100-200 reviews on a busy day.

I think more than boring, it's just very mentally taxing - and relentless (if I leave my deck for a few days, I'll probably have 600+ reviews to do). It takes a lot of motivation to be up to that task every day...

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » March 24th, 2010 5:18 am

smart.fm is going downhill with their timing issues of when to study. I've set a goal date by XX day, and the program still insists I wait until 5 days after this goal date to review again. Not exactly encouraging when you're wanting to finish things by a certain time.

rpgherogaz
Established Presence

Smart.fm really THATR good.... umm...

Postby rpgherogaz » March 24th, 2010 1:28 pm

yes and no....

Its a pretty site, but i have a single, huge problem with it.

It forces you to match a japanese word with an english counterpart.

This is REALLY BAD practice as words can be interpreted as the same english word, but is totally different.

Also, from what I have used, they use alot of similar words and different words with same answers in those pre-made decks cerego has put together....

Anki is still the number one app :) You can add video, pics and sound if you know your stuff, it can sync, subs2srs is めちゃくちゃ便利! and ankimini on the iPhone supports media too, so its all WIN WIN WIN

Anki + japanese questions/sentences with japanese answer and definitions is alot better. 嘘じゃないよ!

んじゃ、これから日本語だけで!

スマートよりアンキが有効やで!

信じてんの? ^_^

誰かが同意するか?

:)

dudnaito
Been Around a Bit

Postby dudnaito » March 26th, 2010 4:10 am

the idea and presentation is superb but the execution is a bit off i think. I still thank smart fm for giving us so much audio when making our anki decks though.

Jimmeny
New in Town

Postby Jimmeny » May 3rd, 2010 7:30 am

I really like it. It is one of the faster ways to pick up vocabulary that I have tried.

- Thomas.

mellaart044317
New in Town

Postby mellaart044317 » May 16th, 2010 9:59 am

I prefer Supermemo http://www.supermemo.com/ than smart.fm.
Both supermemo and smart.fm optimize the process of remembering something. I prefer supermemo because you can edit every collection, adding new words, creating your own and selecting which words you want to learn. I find it more flexible than smart.fm.

loolie
New in Town

Postby loolie » May 24th, 2010 4:16 pm

I have really enjoyed it so far for mastering the Hiragana and Katakana! It has really helped when it comes to additional studying.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”