a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Audio chat rooms?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

bebop
New in Town

Audio chat rooms?

Postby bebop » April 28th, 2009 12:17 am

Hello, I'm new here. I've studied Japanese quite a bit to be able to speak properly. However, my road to speaking "Well" is long from arrival.

I searched topics here and some people have discussed about Ventrilo servers and audio chat rooms. I'm really interested in this, and since it's been 3 years it must've been canceled.

So I'm wondering if anybody would like to open a Ventrilo server, OR come to mine and we'll speak Japanese together? I would love to do that to enhance my speaking and learning abilities. Let me know if anything. Thanks!

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » April 28th, 2009 6:26 am

Most people will use Skype if they want to do audio chat. I've also found that if everyone has a Mac, then iChat is a good place for audio/video.

Only downside to Skype is the perverts and other disturbed people who always want to audio/video chat. You could set up a blog or something and have people give you their Skype name so you can weed out the pervs.

Get 40% OFF
bebop
New in Town

Postby bebop » April 28th, 2009 7:09 am

Perverts? what in the world...

well anyways, how do I set up a blog and then have people add me?

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » April 28th, 2009 1:04 pm

Yeah there's a lot of perverts in the world. Anyway, I guess you could have people message you here or maybe do a search on the net for anything Skype related. I'm sure you're bound to find something that will suit your needs.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » April 28th, 2009 2:34 pm

You don't really want to spend time talking to non-natives for various reasons. Check out The Mixxer, where you can find a language exchange partner. You can arrange to talk by e-mail or Skype. There are various other sites like this one, so you have plenty of options.

Can't say I've had any run-ins with any perverts myself. It's just a (very well designed) messenger style program that focuses around voice chat. It's possible to search through the memberlist, so if you have some sort of provocative profile, you're going to attract the wrong kind of people, but you can choose whether or not to list yourself and prevent unknowns from contacting you.

bebop
New in Town

Postby bebop » April 28th, 2009 11:02 pm

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot.

Liz21
Expert on Something

Postby Liz21 » April 29th, 2009 3:40 am

Hey there!
I found two wonderful language partners on Mixxer several years ago. We have been chatting online once a week ever since. Both of my language partners live in Japan. I met one of them in the U.S., however, because she was studying at a university in the next state.

Also, in the "old days" there were people on the Comments that got together by sending PMs and we formed an online study group which meets once a week and has been on-going for over 3 years! We met at japanesepod101.com!!

Sorry, we don't have room for more.

So, good luck . . . find nice people on the Comments and you're off and running!

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » April 29th, 2009 8:11 am

Javizy wrote:It's possible to search through the memberlist, so if you have some sort of provocative profile, you're going to attract the wrong kind of people, but you can choose whether or not to list yourself and prevent unknowns from contacting you.

Hahaha, yeah right, my profile is as plain as anything wanting people to chat with in English or Japanese, and I still attract the wrong crowd.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » May 7th, 2009 5:56 pm

Liz21 wrote:Hey there!
I found two wonderful language partners on Mixxer several years ago. We have been chatting online once a week ever since. Both of my language partners live in Japan. I met one of them in the U.S., however, because she was studying at a university in the next state.

Also, in the "old days" there were people on the Comments that got together by sending PMs and we formed an online study group which meets once a week and has been on-going for over 3 years! We met at japanesepod101.com!!

Sorry, we don't have room for more.

So, good luck . . . find nice people on the Comments and you're off and running!

Liz21-san! :wink:

I'm one from the old days and I never got invite that's not fair! I been since 2006 and no one has invite me to a study group online. :( Mina-san lets form one from this generation PM if interest, thanks! :D

seifip
Been Around a Bit

Postby seifip » May 10th, 2009 7:42 pm

You may try to visit Edufire (http://edufire.com/)

There are many great free classes where you can talk with a webcam in a group and get corrected.

bebop
New in Town

Postby bebop » May 11th, 2009 5:42 am

Do I need anything fancy like registration?

seifip
Been Around a Bit

Postby seifip » May 11th, 2009 5:43 am

Well... you have to register, but as it's free I don't really see any problem with it

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 11th, 2009 9:22 am

I was looking at the site, and it seems legit, although it seems a few classes you'll have to pay for if you want someone to teach you.

I'm wondering how you're suppose to pay for this? Do they have a money back guarantee?

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » May 11th, 2009 7:58 pm

bebop wrote:Do I need anything fancy like registration?

Bebop-san! :wink:

Thanks for the PM! Yes I'm interest it can you tell me more about it? I can't sent PM that's why I didn't answer you there. :D

bebop
New in Town

Postby bebop » June 1st, 2009 7:01 am

Sorry for the late reply! I've been so busy with tests.

Anyway, please download the program Ventrilo.

IP Address: 72.13.81.202
Port: 4177

All we need to do now is schedule a time or date to go chat :)

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”