a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Intermediate-Advanced Grammar Books?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Javizy
Expert on Something

Intermediate-Advanced Grammar Books?

Postby Javizy » March 17th, 2009 2:19 am

I have the three grammar dictionaries by The Japan Times, and they always help me understand what I'm looking up. The problem is, they don't have any practice questions, and they don't include every piece of grammar that appears on the JLPT. They're dictionaries, and I need something to give me some structure and to test my comprehension as well.

I have an eight week course series of JLPT2 books, which are okay, but the grammar is introduced in example sentences only, which leaves a lot to be desired. I've realised lately that I haven't been learning a lot of new grammar, and when I flick through the dictionaries, there are tens of expressions that I don't know.

If somebody could recommend some good books for learning JLPT2-1 grammar, or general workbooks with lots of questions, I'd be grateful. I bought a workbook from White Rabbit press called 文法の弱いあなたへ, which was actually pretty fun to work through, and the only thing like that I've come across so far.

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » March 17th, 2009 4:43 am

For JLPT grammar, I recommend the 完全マスター series. If you pick up the books for 1kyu and 2kyu grammar (yellow and green), I think you'd be set. There are also lots of practice questions inside to help you test yourself on what you've learned.

Now I know you're probably not asking for more dictionary recommendations, but I just thought I'd throw this out there anyways because I bought it and love it. どんな時どう使う日本語表現文型辞典. It's a grammar dictionary that explains the grammar in Japanese with lots of sample sentences and keeps the English to a minimum. It's extremely easy to look stuff up, because they have considered the different ways a student might try to look something up and included them all. One example they give for that is the phrase 「をもとにして」. You can find it under 「をもとにして」 but if you look it up without the を in front, it'll direct you to the right page. Very useful. The format is nice and easy to read. The explanations are not as in-depth as what you'd find in the Japan Times dictionaries, but I think this dictionary includes a lot more (on the front it actually says it covers everything from JLPT levels 1~4).
Might be worth looking into :wink:
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

Get 40% OFF
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » March 17th, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks for the reply, both your suggestions look very good. I'm just looking for a place to buy them where I don't have to pay more than what everything costs for delivery :lol: I think they're on Yes Asia, so I should be okay since it's free delivery. Wish I had known a couple of weeks ago, I'm waiting for some books from there now :D

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » March 18th, 2009 12:20 am

I know what you mean! Amazon's shipping is really expensive ever since they stopped offering their economy shipping :? YesAsia is good because of the free shipping, but if you want I'd also check out www.bk1.jp. I used them a few times when I was still living in the States, because while they do charge for shipping (I used the 航空便 which wasn't so bad), they charge the exact price that's listed on the books (I've noticed YesAsia tends to mark up the prices considerably), so you might want to check to see if you can get a better deal buying them from there :D
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » March 18th, 2009 1:04 am

It's probably no help at all, but I got my copy of the JLPT 3 Complete Master Series book (which is excellent, by the way), from theseguys (assuming that link works). But it was expensive (about £25) and it took a little while to arrive. I guess that makes this post of absolutely no use to you at all, but I thought I'd add it for the record. I can't find the higher levels through amazon.co.uk though, and their own site'ssearch function seems a bit useless...

Edit: I just got it working and there seems to be a 2kyuu book here, for £22.91. Which, I guess is probably as much as amazon.co.jp with international shipping or whatever, but still...

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » March 18th, 2009 2:23 am

Thanks for the info. I'm just looking through BK1 now, and the 完全マスター books are 1260円, which works out about £9 (they're about £15 on Yes Asia, which doesn't stock 2級). The dictionary works out £14 cheaper, as well. When I ordered from white rabbit press last year sometime, the pound was getting 225円, compared to 138円 at the moment. It's really shocking.

I was looking at the delivery prices and 船空便 is about £14 for over a kilogram, which is still well within the price difference of the other sites. The problem is I'm not sure how much the books weigh, it doesn't give you an estimate before ordering, and it doesn't guarantee the delivery of the order, so you're screwed if it doesn't arrive :?

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”