Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Are there any SRS flashcards for the Nintendo DS?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Taurus
Expert on Something

Are there any SRS flashcards for the Nintendo DS?

Postby Taurus » February 4th, 2009 11:44 pm

As above. I would really like to give SRS flashcards more of a go - at the moment I have created a couple of decks for Anki but I never find the time to review them. If, however, these decks were available on my DS I would use every spare moment to review and I think it would have a dramatic impact on my Japanese. How difficult would it be to create a flashcard program for something like the R4 card?

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » February 4th, 2009 11:58 pm

Have you tried accessing is anki on your phone? There are simple and Flash versions I think, so it should definitely work some way or another. There are instructions on the website if you don't know how to access it.

I've tried all the flash card applications on the iPod, and the algorithms are seriously lacking. I find not having any differentiation between words you remember easily, and words you really struggle with massively detrimental, so there's really no competition to anki. I've ordered a wireless router so I can get it on there. Can't speak for the DS, but good luck if the phone thing doesn't work.

Get 40% OFF
Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » February 5th, 2009 12:06 am

Unfortunately I still have no clue how to install Japanese fonts on my Nokia N95. I tried following some instructions online, but it didn't work. And as I understand it, I think the phone versions of Anki essentially run off the internet, so you'd use a deck saved on the Anki server. I'd rather just be able to copy a deck from my PC over to my R4 card and access it in my spare time on the DS (instead of filling my spare moments with Nurikabe or some equally pointless but mildly stimulating puzzle game).

Actually, now that you mention it, are there any SRS programs for the iPod Classic? I guess I should go search the forum and internet right about now...

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » February 5th, 2009 1:55 pm

Taurus wrote:Actually, now that you mention it, are there any SRS programs for the iPod Classic? I guess I should go search the forum and internet right about now...

I think I can safely say there are no SRS programs for pre-Touch iPods.
The flashcard solutions tended to be just a slightly more convenient solution than paper flashcards and involved a reasonable amount of ingenuity to overcome the limitations imposed by Apple.

I was hopeful when game software appeared on the iPods, but that is now completely overtaken by the Touch platform. iQuiz had a little promise but you'd be dependent on other people providing the quizzes.

I've never come across commercial SRS or flashcards on the DS. I haven't come across anything that allows that level of user input. The nearest I've seen is the TOEIC flashcard lists in 漢字そのまま楽引辞典

Have you seen this thread on DS Homebrews on Koohi?
http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=467

If you just want something more productive than a puzzle game 正しい漢字かきとりくん. (The first edition) is the most satisfying and accessible Japanese learning software I've come across. Primarily concerned with reading and writing kanji but as it tests this mostly through sentences you'll also learn vocabulary.
(The later edition, while more complete is aimed at an older audience and is much more difficult to get into. )

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » February 5th, 2009 4:59 pm

That thread's really useful - I'll give some of those homebrew apps a go, I reckon.

I've already got just about every official Japanese-learning game, though I've only dabbled with them. I'll have to give your recommendation another go too.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”