Or sign up using Facebook

Guzen Radio - A taste of life in Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Guzen Radio - A taste of life in Japan

Postby The Frankensteiner » April 25th, 2006 12:16 pm

Hey everyone!

I love all this learning Japanese. But after I finish the newest lesson here at Japanesepod101.com I like to swing on over to http://guzenradio.com/ for a different type of show. "Guzen" means "By chance" and it was by Guzen that I found this great show.

Guzen radio talks about what it is like to live, work and play in Japan.
The format of this show is very casual and usually completely improvised on the spot. It is hosted by Chaz, an English teacher stationed in Shizuoka who originally came over from the U.S. through the JET program 10 years ago and was lucky enough to get a permanent placement.

Basically Chaz and his friends, and sometimes his students, discuss what is going on in their lives in Japan. They always have very entertaining stories to tell.

Some nice features are things like video. Chaz takes a lot of video of school functions and interesting localations that give you a first hand look at just what goes on there. Also, one of my favorite things are the "sound tours". This is when he takes a microphone with him and just tours Japan. If you sit back and close yours eyes and plop on some headphones you'll swear you're riding the Shinkansen or listening to great local music at the street festival in Shizuoka.

So if you want to take a small break from cramming your brain full of Kanji and vocabulary for a little while and learn what it's like to actually live there, give Guzen a try.

Overall I give the show two thumbs up and it is tied with Japanesepod101 for the coveted spot of my favorite podcast.

Check it out!
:P
Last edited by The Frankensteiner on April 27th, 2006 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Find out what it's like to live, work and play in Japan!
http://guzenmedia.com/

SuiteOne
Been Around a Bit

Postby SuiteOne » April 25th, 2006 12:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely check it out and see how I can use it to supplement my Japanese studies!

Nicole

Get 40% OFF
The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » April 28th, 2006 2:09 pm

You're welcome.

It's really helped me learn more about what it's like to live in Japan. Now I won't be so surprised if I see certain things when I get there. Haha. Plus it's just a fun show to listen to.
:)

esp
Been Around a Bit

Postby esp » May 1st, 2006 4:04 pm

Cool, i've listened to a few episodes and it seems quite good so far.

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » May 1st, 2006 4:14 pm

Yeah, it's great stuff. Thanks for checking it out!
I like the show a lot and wanted to share it with you guys. I was starting to become afraid no one was interested though.

Make sure you start at the back and work your way up to the newer episodes. That way you'll be all the more sad when you watch the Gokce and Steven farewell video. :(

esp
Been Around a Bit

Postby esp » May 1st, 2006 4:29 pm

The Frankensteiner wrote:Yeah, it's great stuff. Thanks for checking it out!
I like the show a lot and wanted to share it with you guys. I was starting to become afraid no one was interested though.

Make sure you start at the back and work your way up to the newer episodes. That way you'll be all the more sad when you watch the Gokce and Steven farewell video. :(

I started at exchange student week 7 & 8 on itunes havent seen the farewell video yet but I read about some of it on the forum. i'll try to get through them all in the summer it seems a lot of the episodes are quite long so I don't really have time to properly listen to them at the moment.

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » May 1st, 2006 4:49 pm

Oh, I forgot until I just went back to check the episode you started with. The sound quality on some of the early shows varies greatly. One episode in particular, Gokce's laugh will blow your ear drums if you're wearing headphones. After that episode though it's fine, they fix it. (They got some complaints about it)

esp
Been Around a Bit

Postby esp » May 1st, 2006 5:12 pm

The Frankensteiner wrote:Oh, I forgot until I just went back to check the episode you started with. The sound quality on some of the early shows varies greatly. One episode in particular, Gokce's laugh will blow your ear drums if you're wearing headphones. After that episode though it's fine, they fix it. (They got some complaints about it)

Yeah I noticed some fuzziness or buzzing in the background in sounds of japan and some of the others although most of the time what they were saying was audible enough

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » May 2nd, 2006 4:35 pm

Did anyone check out this episode yet?
http://media.libsyn.com/media/guzenradi ... dio_23.mp3

It's probably one of my favorite. I love hearing all the local music as Chaz walks around the Shizuoka street art & music festival. I'd love to get some music from a few of these bands, especially the first one you hear.

esp
Been Around a Bit

Postby esp » May 4th, 2006 9:25 pm

Listened and watch some more episodes and I love it. It's greaat to hear some unscripted Japanese and to see what a highschool in Japan is like. Makes me kind of regret not starting to learn Japanese earlier and doing some kind of exchange although I might be able to do the same kind of thing with a Japanese university which might be even better.
Thanks for bringing Guzen to my attention. Makes me want to learn more Japanese even more than before now. :D

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » May 5th, 2006 11:12 am

Hey you're welcome!

That's exactly how I felt. After listening to all the episodes I was really jealous of Steven and Gokce. It's too late for me to go as a student, but maybe I can be a teacher like Chaz? They just seem like they are enjoying life so much more than I am. :(

esp
Been Around a Bit

Postby esp » May 5th, 2006 9:08 pm

One thing the podcasts have shown me is how extremely formal and polite the Japanese i'm being taught is. It's probably going to take a while to get used to slangy terms and casual speaking used so much in Japan.

surGeonFFS
New in Town

Postby surGeonFFS » May 16th, 2006 9:58 pm

awesome find. love this.

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » May 17th, 2006 11:20 am

Glad you like it!
It's a great show.

jdniii
New in Town

Postby jdniii » June 24th, 2006 12:57 am

I love this show, it is what I have always been looking for! I have listened to about 15 of the shows in the last 2 days! It has inspired me to go to Japan!

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”