a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

New Flashcard Program

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

New Flashcard Program

Postby jkid » May 23rd, 2008 10:16 am

Just wanted to let everyone know about a new flashcard program I found today by accident:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nihongoflash/

It is called Nihongo Flash and was released as BETA a few days ago. The author says it isn't finished but will be completed in 2-3 weeks.

It comes preloaded with (supposedly) the vocab required for JLPT 4-1 and some "extra vocab".

The program presents you with 5 choices from which you have to pick the correct answer depending on which mode you use (be it E-J or J-E).

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » May 23rd, 2008 11:38 am

Ohh I wish I could try this. Windows only :(
お茶漬け海苔

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » May 23rd, 2008 1:15 pm

Will give this ago, since I've been meaning to learn the JLPT vocabulary, and Anki's sample decks are incomplete. Although aren't they supposed to be 10,000 words for JLPT1?

I'd like to see one with dictionary support; it'd make creating cards so much easier it's ridiculous.

absynthe
New in Town

I am the author..

Postby absynthe » May 29th, 2008 3:05 pm

Hello.. my name is Rob and I wrote the Nihongo Flash.

Yes.. there are 10,000 vocabulary expected for JLPT 1.. however.. the official lists show around 8000. The other 2000 are up to the test maker to pick.

I parsed my lists from various lists on the net and cleaned them up and removed double entries (that I could find). Levels 3 and 4 were from jlptstudy.com and levels 1 and 2 were from http://www.thbz.org/kanjimots/jlpt.php3. Levels 3 and 4 were gone over manually and seem to be completely correct. Levels 2 and 1 were a bit trickier. Level 2 seemed to have about 1200 too many vocab. I searched for entries that already existed in 3 and 4 and this removed 1000. I trimmed the definitions to be a max of three.. (instead of 7 or more like the original data). I them took EDICT sub (22,000 of the most common words) and removed any that I already had in other lists.. this left me with an extra list with about 15,000 words.

Anyway.. I believe I have made a set of lists that is consistent and clean. Hopefully.. somebody somewhere someday will go over levels 2 and 1, make sure there aren't mistakes or double entries and post them back to the net. It is kind of hard to find good lists. And many sites don't give you machine readable sets..

Also.. there is a Java version underway. I have already put the base project onto sourceforge.. however it is just the UI.. no flashcard logic has been added. I would think about two weeks.. maybe one.

If anyone sees any bugs or errors in the lists.. please let me know.. the contact info is at the top of the dataset files.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”