Or sign up using Facebook

Help with Writing

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Mini_Apocalypse
New in Town

Help with Writing

Postby Mini_Apocalypse » May 20th, 2008 12:31 pm

Hi guys

Ive been self studying japanese, with the help of this site, for a wile now. But i am seriosly struggling with my writing. I am wondering if my dislexia is making it more difficult for me.
Could anyone suggest a comprehansive writing guide? Or childrens textbook? Something easy and simple to learn from.

Thanks alot

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » May 20th, 2008 1:21 pm

i heard they don't have dyslexia in japan because of the writing system.

if that's true (which i don't know), i think you're struggling because, well, it's not easy to learn kanji - at least not like the alphabet is easy. so you're probably just fine! :D
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
hatch_jp
Expert on Something

Postby hatch_jp » May 20th, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm not sure whether you mantion hiragana/katakna or knaji, but there are trace sheets for hiragana/kataka on the following site.
You can get them from "Zip File" after exstracting the zip file on the site.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/

Shaydwyrm
Expert on Something

Postby Shaydwyrm » May 20th, 2008 3:24 pm

markystar wrote:i heard they don't have dyslexia in japan because of the writing system.

if that's true (which i don't know), i think you're struggling because, well, it's not easy to learn kanji - at least not like the alphabet is easy. so you're probably just fine! :D

It's not quite true, but they do say that the writing system reduces incidence of dyslexia noticeably. Unfortunately this tends to mean that there's less awareness of it, so kids are more likely to go undiagnosed, and still have as many problems with reading and writing as westerners with dyslexia :( That does mean that it's entirely possible that dyslexia is interfering with your Japanese learning.

Depending on which part of the writing system you're struggling with, you should check out James Heisig's Remembering the Kana and Remembering the Kanji. The kanji book is somewhat controversial, though it did wonders for me. There's a free sample consisting of the first few chapters of the book available online here. If it's kanji you're struggling with, read over the introduction and see if you think it suits your needs. If the kana are the problem, though, the kana book is controversy free, and I've heard it's quite effective. No sample though :wink:

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”