Or sign up using Facebook

Intermediate Book

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

LPJAPAN
New in Town

Intermediate Book

Postby LPJAPAN » February 28th, 2008 9:00 am

皆さん、元気ですか? 
I have just finished みんなの日本語 2! Hooray for me!! :D I never thought I would get to the end of that book, but I did it!! Now, I am looking to move on to a new book. Does anyone one have any suggestions? I definately would like a book that has lots of practice maybe with a workbook and hopefully geared towards JLPT 2.

THanks

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 28th, 2008 12:33 pm

そうかなぁ
さて、みんなの日本語Ⅱ方がいいですよ。
頑張れっ!!
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Get 40% OFF
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » February 28th, 2008 1:57 pm

I don't know about workbooks, but you should definitely own the following two books by Seiichi Makino for grammar reference:

They're widely regarded as the best around, and I'm inclined to agree. Don't be put off by the 'basic' in the title of the first one, it contains every piece of grammar on this site and more (except maybe for some of the slang :wink:).

For JLPT and other workbooks, check out some of the stuff atWhite Rabbit Press.

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 28th, 2008 3:35 pm

a side note,
these books are good
but not
for everyone

i really didn't get
a lot from it
too much
reading
for me

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » February 28th, 2008 4:02 pm

josiah wrote:a side note, these books are good but not for everyone

i really didn't get a lot from it too much reading for me

Nobody said grammar was fun, but you need to know it well, especially if you're doing JLPT 2. These books are dictionaries, so you're supposed to look up grammar points as you come across them in reading, workbooks, etc, or just need to review a particular point. It's easy to find what you're looking for, and the explanations are clear and concise, so if you're seriously studying the language there isn't really an alternative. They even come recommended by jpod's own Peter :wink:

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » February 28th, 2008 4:42 pm

those 2 books are ridiculously cool!! 8)

we have several copies at the office that are so used that they are literally falling apart. my personal copies at home aren't looking so great either. fantastic reference material!

while we on the topic of references, this one is pretty good for JLPT 4 and 3.

I'm using 完全マスター漢字 日本語能力試験1級レベル (ペーパーバック) now to practice kanji and dictation. It's obviosly aimed at 2級。

I haven't come across the accompanying workbook in shops yet, but when I do I'll probably get it, cuz practicing dictation sucks. lol.
完全マスター2級日本語能力試験読解問題対策 (単行本)
Image[/quote]
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 29th, 2008 12:51 am

Javizy wrote:

Nobody said grammar was fun, but you need to know it well, especially if you're doing JLPT 2. These books are dictionaries, so you're supposed to look up grammar points as you come across them in reading, workbooks, etc, or just need to review a particular point. It's easy to find what you're looking for, and the explanations are clear and concise, so if you're seriously studying the language there isn't really an alternative. They even come recommended by jpod's own Peter :wink:

yes
it is the perfect book
for japanese grammar
is this
recommended

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

kitty-chan
Established Presence

Postby kitty-chan » February 29th, 2008 2:24 am

I thought you just said this: :shock: :shock: :shock:

i really didn't get a lot from it

But then you said this: :roll: :roll: :roll:

yes it is the perfect book for japanese grammar

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » February 29th, 2008 5:11 am

Javizy wrote:

Exactly. These aren't intended to be read cover to cover. If you are looking for something to study from cover to cover, in order, you want a textbook and accompanying workbook.

LPJAPAN
New in Town

Postby LPJAPAN » February 29th, 2008 10:19 am

Thanks for all the responses.

Javizy, I have the basic version of Seiichi Makino and was thinking about picking up the intermediate level soon. I found it to be a fantastic reference with good explanations and examples. I'm sure the intermediate level is just as good.

Marky, dictation practice? Ouch, that's tough. Good practice, but hella boring. I used to do it some, I should start that up again. Got to get the ears in top shape by December.

Has anyone tried "日本語中級 J301"? It looks like a good book.

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 29th, 2008 12:12 pm

kitty-chan wrote:I thought you just said this: :shock: :shock: :shock:

i really didn't get a lot from it

But then you said this: :roll: :roll: :roll:

yes it is the perfect book for japanese grammar

am i contradicting
myself?

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

gsun
New in Town

Breaking into Japanese Literature

Postby gsun » April 3rd, 2008 5:34 pm

How about a book with Parallel text, free MP3 download and vocabs already looked up for you? It is not a text book but a nice example of classic literature.

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-into-Jap ... 316&sr=8-1

Javizy
Expert on Something

Re: Breaking into Japanese Literature

Postby Javizy » April 4th, 2008 10:27 am

gsun wrote:How about a book with Parallel text, free MP3 download and vocabs already looked up for you? It is not a text book but a nice example of classic literature.

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-into-Jap ... 316&sr=8-1

I got that book yesterday funnily enough, and I also recommend it. Pretty much every word is covered in the vocabulary list, and it's refreshing to read some accredited literature rather than manga or things aimed at learners. Also, the author Natsume Souseki, who has been mentioned in several lessons, features at the beginning of the book.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 4th, 2008 11:56 am

Wow! Lots of good book suggestions. Now I want to get them all. I actually enjoy reading about grammar. It's something about rules that appeals to the programmer in me.

The book I always have with me is:

http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Japanese-G ... 0198603827

It's a small enough book so it's very portable, and has a lot of stuff in it. I'm always referrring to it, or just reading it for a refresher.
お茶漬け海苔

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”