a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Language Aid

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Language Aid

Postby Bueller_007 » May 31st, 2006 10:46 am

Haven't tried this, so I can't comment, but some Mac users might find this program useful:
http://www.aorensoftware.com/LanguageAid/

--

Overview
Language Aid allows you to simply hover your mouse cursor over any piece of Japanese text and with the click of a button or the tap of a keystroke, have dictionary lookups presented to you in a clean and simple floating window. Features include:

* Customizable lookup trigger to either a mouse or key combination.
* Access to many different dictionaries through Jim Breen's WWWJDIC server.
* Visually scaleable results so that you can see every stroke of that complicated kanji.
* Quick access and dismissal. It is there when you need it but stays out of your way.

Language Aid requires an Internet connection and Mac OS X 10.4 or higher for operation.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » May 31st, 2006 11:19 am

Looks really nice. I'll have to try it out when my MBP comes in a couple of days. It would've been nice if they would have used a dictionary on your local machine rather than having to look it up over the internet, though.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Get 40% OFF
Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » May 31st, 2006 12:07 pm

Jason wrote:Looks really nice. I'll have to try it out when my MBP comes in a couple of days. It would've been nice if they would have used a dictionary on your local machine rather than having to look it up over the internet, though.

Yeah, I didn't even think about that until you mentioned it. That's a pretty obvious feature to be lacking.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”