Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Slime forest: learn kana and RPG at the same time!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

mightyphilspear
New in Town

Slime forest: learn kana and RPG at the same time!

Postby mightyphilspear » May 20th, 2006 8:43 pm

Hi, new to the forums, this may have been posted before, although I did a quick search and couldn't find anything (if so I'm very sorry)

http://members.chello.at/theodor.lauppe ... s/lrnj.htm

Its a silly little RPG that forces you to practice kana and some kanji. And if you are studying japanese, you KNOW you love RPGs.

Unfortunately, the RPG half is too hard for me.

Phil

Solvi
Established Presence

Postby Solvi » May 22nd, 2006 7:07 pm

My day:
- IT exam
- Music & globalisation home exam handed out
- SLIME FOREST!

A great game for relaxing, at least when I die all the time and spend most of the time wandering from my house to the cave :P

Does anybody know how long you have to wait to get 100 points again?

Get 40% OFF
the_sys0p
New in Town

Postby the_sys0p » July 13th, 2006 8:57 pm

I've had this game for about 2 or 3 days now... And I've learned a ton of kanji meanings from this, as well as getting MUCH faster at reading the kana I knew (or mostly knew) before.

I've got to a point where I can't really progress much further in the game though... I just can't seem to figure out how to get rid of the brick walls in my way...no way to break through. :( I've even got a boat and can go to another little island, and I run into more things there.

Anyone have any tips on how to proceed? One of the best things about this was that it was an RPG with learning elements, and now it just seems like it's almost another flash card setup at this point...hehe.

Thanks in advance.

Elderp
New in Town

Postby Elderp » July 16th, 2006 11:14 pm

i don't know any kanji so the slime just eat me.

Solvi
Established Presence

Postby Solvi » July 17th, 2006 12:18 pm

Same here - the princess is saved, and now the slimes don't have any new kanji to teach me. This might be because it's a free game, if you go to the web site you see they have different versions of the game that cost money... But I don't know. Maybe it just hasn't been developed any further.

Balrog30
New in Town

Postby Balrog30 » July 18th, 2006 9:33 pm

Wow, thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to find something to practice reading Kana without reading the lesson notes from this site over and over again. Thanks.

KickMeElmo
New in Town

Ugh... Mud...

Postby KickMeElmo » September 11th, 2006 10:58 pm

Well, I'm in the same boat (no pun intended). The mud blocks are unremovable. And they are mud, if that gives anyone hints. The castle with the ghost king is yet unenterable, and the Artifacts and Shark Repellant seem to do nothing. To top it off, the pirate disappeared. If anyone has some insight, please post.

skyfox66
New in Town

Yes, any hints appreciated

Postby skyfox66 » October 4th, 2006 5:32 am

I'm at the point where I have the boat and can't get past the mud blocks either. Anyone figure it out? Let me know.

seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » October 5th, 2006 3:10 am

Personally I don't think the game was ever "finished" in programming terms. There seems to be a lot of stuff with no use programmed in yet, and nobody seems to have been able to finish the program. It was a great idea, but I quickly lost patience with the RPG part of it and gave up the game part.

Sean

Abrassart
Established Presence

Re: Yes, any hints appreciated

Postby Abrassart » October 5th, 2006 8:58 am

skyfox66 wrote:I'm at the point where I have the boat and can't get past the mud blocks either. Anyone figure it out? Let me know.

I'm also at the same point. It's just that the game is not finished. It's a shame (because it's a really fun way to learn Kanji), but I don't know if we can do anything about that. Maybe writting to the progammer and beg him to continue? :lol:

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Yes, any hints appreciated

Postby Bueller_007 » October 5th, 2006 10:33 am

Abrassart wrote:
skyfox66 wrote:I'm at the point where I have the boat and can't get past the mud blocks either. Anyone figure it out? Let me know.

I'm also at the same point. It's just that the game is not finished. It's a shame (because it's a really fun way to learn Kanji), but I don't know if we can do anything about that. Maybe writting to the progammer and beg him to continue? :lol:

Warning: I've never played this game, or even heard of it.

You've got a boat, so you're presumably in the water. And there are mud blocks in the way. Mud dissolves in water, no? Throw some water on it or something?

KickMeElmo
New in Town

Postby KickMeElmo » October 6th, 2006 4:31 am

Thanks for the attempt, but these are blocks put in by him until he progresses the game further I believe. You do have a boat, but you use it to get to an island that has mud barriers in the dungeon on it. It was a good attempt though. Thanks for that.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”